Viral video shows panicked shoppers attempting to escape an Ikea outlet in China during flash lockdown
- Chaos ensued at an Ikea outlet in Shanghai’s Xuhui district after security announced a flash lockdown on Saturday due to potential COVID-19 exposure.
- The order came after authorities learned that one shopper had been in close contact with a positive case, Shanghai Health Commission deputy director Zhao Dandan said on Sunday.
- Although Zhao did not specify when the close contact visited the Ikea outlet, he said that everyone located in the building and its surrounding areas was required to quarantine for two days, followed by five days of health monitoring.
- Citing eyewitness reports on Chinese social media, Bloomberg reported that some shoppers were stuck inside the outlet for around four hours before they were transported to quarantine hotels.
- Videos taken on Saturday have been circulating on social media, with one video on Twitter having already amassed more than 146,000 views.
Chaos ensued at an Ikea outlet in Shanghai after security announced a flash lockdown due to potential COVID-19 exposure last weekend.
The incident occurred at an Ikea in Shanghai’s Xuhui district on Saturday. Health officials ordered the outlet to commence a flash lockdown after authorities learned that one shopper had been in contact with a positive case – a 6-year-old boy from Lhasa in Tibet – according to Shanghai Health Commission deputy director Zhao Dandan on Sunday.
- A furious 10-year-old boy in Shanghai was caught on camera brandishing a vegetable knife and threatening to kill a healthcare worker.
- The incident allegedly occurred because the healthcare worker scolded the boy after informing him that it would be difficult to conduct a city-mandated COVID-19 test on him while he is on his hoverboard.
- Angered by what the healthcare worker said, the boy allegedly retrieved a vegetable knife from his house and returned to the testing area to threaten the man.
- A video of the incident, shared by Chinese news outlet Xing Shi Pin on Sunday, shows the boy screaming as he is being pinned down by healthcare workers with the knife in one hand.
- After the knife is taken away and he is no longer restrained, the boy can be seen punching another man and telling a concerned elderly woman to “get lost" or else he would "beat her up."
- The boy, who left the scene on his hoverboard, has yet to be identified.
A 10-year-old boy went viral on Chinese social media for threatening to kill a man with a vegetable knife after allegedly being told it would be difficult to conduct a city-mandated COVID-19 test while he was on his hoverboard.
China censors news on hacker selling personal info of 1 billion citizens from stolen police database
- China has reportedly blocked news about a hacker who claimed to have stolen a local police database and subsequently offered to sell it for 10 bitcoin (about $200,000).
- The leaked Shanghai National Police database allegedly contains 23 terabytes of data including personal information from 1 billion Chinese citizens.
- The breach remains unconfirmed and Chinese authorities have yet to make a public statement regarding the issue.
China is reportedly blocking news about a hacker who claimed to have stolen a police database containing information on 1 billion citizens and offered to sell it for 10 bitcoin (approximately $200,000).
The anonymous hacker, who goes by the username ChinaDan, said the database contains more than 23 terabytes of data including personal information, such as addresses, mobile numbers and criminal histories.
- Shanghai Xinchangzheng Nursing Home declared a resident dead and took him to the morgue in a body bag before realizing he was still alive.
- Video footage of the incident, which occured on Sunday afternoon, shows workers in protective suits pulling a body bag out of the mortuary van shortly before yelling, “Alive! Did you see that? Alive!”
- The incident was confirmed by the Putuo district government, and five individuals have been put under investigation, including the nursing home director and a doctor involved.
- The horrifying incident sparked backlash among people in China and raised further concerns over the dysfunctional handling of Shanghai's citywide lockdown.
A Shanghai nursing home resident was mistakenly declared dead and put into a body bag, only to later be found alive at the morgue.
A video taken by a Shanghai resident on Sunday afternoon showed several workers in protective suits carrying a body bag out of a mortuary van. The man’s head then appeared from the bag, and a worker shouted that he was still alive, while another yelled not to close the bag.
- Shanghai residents are now behind metal barriers as the city enters its fourth week of lockdown amid an Omicron outbreak.
- Government workers and volunteers installed the green fences measuring 2 meters (around 6.5 feet) tall over the weekend across small streets and on entrances to apartment buildings.
- The move, which authorities describe as “hard quarantine,” falls in line with China’s zero-COVID policy.
- Beijing has started to fight its own outbreak, with residents mandated to undergo three tests this week.
As Shanghai’s lockdown drags into a grueling fourth week, residents now find themselves trapped behind metal fences, as seen in photos posted on Weibo.
Government workers and volunteers reportedly installed green metal barriers — about 2 meters (around 6.5 feet) tall — in multiple districts over the weekend, blocking small streets and entrances to apartment buildings.
- Shanghai’s 26 million residents have been in complete lockdown since April 1 as part of China’s zero-COVID strategy and the Omicron variant’s extreme contagiousness.
- On Sunday, three elderly Shanghai residents, two of them 91 years old and one 89, were the first to reportedly die from COVID- related causes since March 2020.
- Prior to the reports, quarantine had residents growing increasingly restless and desperate, with videos of people angrily clashing with police on the streets surfacing online.
- Negative social media posts about the Shanghai lockdown have reportedly outpaced government efforts to censor these clips from surfacing.
- Exhausted local officials are also now reportedly worried about the practicality of a zero-COVID strategy, which was once a point of pride for the communist country.
Three elderly Shanghai residents, all close to 90 years in age, are the first official COVID-19 deaths reported in China since the start of the pandemic in March 2020.
After the extremely contagious Omicron variant led to Shanghai’s worst outbreak since the start of the pandemic, with over 320,000 people reportedly infected in early March, the city sent its 26 million residents back to a complete lockdown on April 1 per its zero-COVID strategy.
Chinese netizens slam own government after Beijing retaliates against US report on human rights abuses
- In a rare collective response, Chinese citizens criticized their own government on Weibo after it retaliated against the U.S. over a damning report on its alleged human rights abuses.
- Much of the criticism focused on the government’s handling of the COVID-19 outbreak in Shanghai, which has remained in lockdown for weeks.
- “Look at yourself in the mirror and see how you're treating the people. (You) keep staring at American news all day,” one Weibo user wrote.
- A rare protest took place in Shanghai on Thursday as residents of an apartment complex blocked the government’s mandate to make certain buildings house COVID-19 patients.
- Voices heard in a footage taken during the protest reportedly claimed that Chinese police were hitting people.
Chinese netizens have taken to Weibo to vent about the Chinese government on a range of issues following its retaliation against the U.S. over damning accusations of human rights abuses.
On Tuesday, the U.S. State Department released its 2021 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, which detailed China’s multiple offenses ranging from the stifling of Hong Kong’s democracy in the east to the genocide of Xinjiang’s ethnic minorities in the west.
A video recorded in Shanghai has gone viral for showing residents screaming out of their windows after over a week of total COVID-19 lockdown.
Author and radio host Patrick Madrid posted the video on Twitter on April 8, claiming it was sent to him the day before by his friend’s uncle. Several voices can be heard yelling out simultaneously from different locations.
- A video showing a healthcare worker beating a corgi to death on the streets of Shanghai amid a lockdown has gone viral.
- The dog’s owners, who tested positive for COVID-19 and needed to be quarantined, said they let their dog out on the streets so it could have a better chance at surviving there than inside their home alone with no one to feed it.
- “We hoped to let him outside to be like a stray dog. We didn’t want him to starve to death,” one of the dog’s owners said. “As long as he could live, it would be OK. We never expected that he would be beaten to death.”
- In a statement released via a state-run media outlet on Thursday, local neighborhood committee members admitted they had the corgi killed since they were “afraid of being infected.”
- Officials said that the incident was “thoughtless.”
- Similar incidents of pets being killed after their owners tested positive for COVID-19 have also been reported in China’s Jiangxi Province and Guangdong Province in the past six months.
A video of a healthcare worker beating a corgi to death in Shanghai after its owners tested positive for COVID-19 has gone viral on Chinese social media.
The culling, roundly condemned by outraged Chinese netizens, was filmed amid a massive lockdown in the country’s financial hub following a surge of Omicron cases in late March. The dog’s owners, who needed to be quarantined, said they let their pet out on the streets, believing it would have a better chance at surviving there than inside their home alone with no one to feed it.
- China’s most populous city has been placed on a two-stage lockdown amid a new surge of COVID-19 infections, with 4,381 asymptomatic and 96 symptomatic cases recorded as of Monday.
- Shanghai’s Pudong financial district and nearby areas in the east were the first to be affected by the rule, which was enforced beginning on Monday and will last until Friday. The western part of the city will then begin its five-day lockdown on Friday.
- Health personnel have already conducted 8.26 million tests in the affected districts since the lockdown began, according to Wu Qianyu, an official with the municipal health commission.
- China reported 53,000 confirmed cases this March, with the majority of those coming from Jilin Province, which has confirmed more than 1,000 new cases daily.
About 26 million residents of Shanghai have been placed on a two-stage lockdown as the city faces a new surge of COVID-19 cases.
The lockdown, announced by the local government on Sunday, went into effect on March 28 and will remain through April 1 in an effort to curb a new surge of COVID-19 cases in Shanghai, thus splitting China’s most populous city through the Huangpu River into two phases.
Shanghai Pride formally announced the cessation of its activities on Thursday.
The event, which started as a small community gathering in 2009, served as China’s sole major annual celebration of LGBTQ+ rights.
On Friday, May 15, crowds of people geared up in masks and gathered at the opening of the first Popeyes location in China.
Founded in 1972 by the late Al Copeland in New Orleans, Louisiana, Popeyes is a chain of fast-food restaurants famous for selling its Louisiana inspired fried chicken.