- Blackpink member Jennie, 26, has been accused of cultural appropriation for appearing with cornrows in the teaser trailer for HBO’s “The Idol.”
- The video, which was released on Sunday, briefly shows the K-pop star sporting cornrows while playing the part of a backup dancer.
- Several eagle-eyed viewers managed to catch a glimpse of her hairstyle and took to Twitter to call her out.
- Some fans reportedly tried to defend Jennie, suggesting that the hairstyle decision was that of the series' producers and not of the Blackpink member.
- Meanwhile, others argued that she should be held accountable because she is “not a child.”
Blackpink’s Jennie has been accused of cultural appropriation for appearing with cornrows in the teaser trailer for HBO’s “The Idol.”
The 26-year-old artist can be seen in three short scenes throughout the video, which was released on Sunday. The HBO drama series stars singer The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye), who plays a secret cult leader, and actor Lily-Rose Depp, who plays a wannabe pop singer.
- This past Friday, several YG Entertainment artists participated in an episode of a popular Korean variety show called “The Game Caterers.”
- Some of the artists present included Blackpink leader Jennie, Akmu’s Chanhyuk, Winner’s Jinu, Mino and Yoon and iKon’s Jay and Song.
- The YG family proved their camaraderie by cheering each other on in a series of dance covers and original games.
- In her closing remarks, Jennie announced the world-famous quartet would be making a comeback and said to “please look forward to it.” It would be the group’s first album since 2020.
- Members of Winner and iKon also confirmed their groups’ upcoming comebacks.
Blackpink leader Jennie has announced the group’s planned return for their first album in nearly two years.
On Friday, March 4, a popular Korean YouTube channel called “The Game Caterers” aired an episode featuring several artists from YG Entertainment.
The historic moment took place at the 30-year-old American singer’s Fenty Beauty private party in Seoul on September 18, according to ABS-CBN’s Myx.