- Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai has been named Asian Filmmaker of the Year at the Busan International Film Festival.
- Leung will collect his award at the event’s opening ceremony on Oct. 5.
- The festival will open with a screening of “Scent of the Wind” by Hagi Mohaghegh and close with “A Man” from Japan’s Ishikawa Kei.
- Leung is well known for his role in “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” and “In the Mood for Love.”
Hong Kong star Tony Leung Chiu-wai has been named the Asian Filmmaker of the Year by the Busan International Film Festival (BIFF).
Leung, who is known for his roles in films such as the 2000 romance “In the Mood for Love,” and most recently Marvel’s 2021 film “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” will be honored at the BIFF with a six-film showcase titled “In the Mood for Tony Leung.”
- Simu Liu took to Instagram to share the mental health struggles he’s faced since debuting as the MCU superhero Shang-chi on the one-year anniversary of the movie.
- “It’s been nothing short of the absolute best ride… but after having some time to reflect I know that this life also comes at a massive cost,” wrote Liu.
- Liu revealed that he’s in therapy to prioritize his mental health and is on the path to becoming “a good and decent man.”
On the one-year anniversary of Simu Liu’s debut as the MCU superhero Shang-Chi, the actor took to Instagram to celebrate the role while opening up about the mental health challenges he has faced since being catapulted into international stardom.
Liu began the post by acknowledging the major impact that the movie, “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” has had on his life.
- Simu Liu will guest star in “The Simpsons” as the voice of Lisa Simpson’s "perfect future boyfriend,” in the Season 34 episode titled “When Nelson Met Lisa.”
- Matt Selman, the series’ co-showrunner, teased fans on Liu’s appearance and what else lies ahead in the upcoming season, including two Halloween episodes and parodies of the popular anime series “Death Note” and Stephen King’s novel “It.”
The MCU’s first lead Asian superhero meets TV’s longest-running animated series with Simu Liu set to guest star in an upcoming episode of “The Simpsons.”
The “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” actor will be voicing Hubert Wong, Lisa Simpson’s “perfect future boyfriend,” in the Season 34 episode “When Nelson Met Lisa.” Liu will join recurring cast members Joe Mantegna, who voices the mob boss Fat Toy, and Melissa McCarthy as the kid rival of Homer Simpson.
- Destin Daniel Cretton has been tapped to direct the first of the next two “Avengers” films which were announced over the weekend at Comic-Con: “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty” followed by “Avengers: Secret Wars.”
- Slated for release in 2025, the two films will close out Phase 6 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Little has been revealed about the plot for either film, but Jonathan Majors already made his debut as Kang, the villainous ruler of the multiverse, in Disney Plus’ “Loki.”
Director Destin Daniel Cretton has been tasked with assembling the Avengers once again.
Marvel announced two new Avengers movies set for release in 2025 during their panel at San Diego’s Comic-Con over the weekend: “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty,” which is scheduled for May 2, and “Avengers: Secret Wars” on Nov. 7.
- Following her role as Ying Li in Marvel’s 2021 hit “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” Chinese American actor Fala Chen, 40, revealed she is still being typecast by being offered roles for Asian characters who can only speak Chinese.
- “After Shang-Chi, we're getting more calls about me playing an Asian character who speaks only Chinese," Chen told AsiaOne on Tuesday. “I feel like I personally, as a human being, have a lot more to give. So it does feel like we're constantly fighting against that."
- Before appearing in “Shang-Chi,” Chen was already an established star in Hong Kong television, most notably known for her roles in series such as “Steps” (2007) and “Triumph in the Skies II” (2013).
- On being typecast, Chen told AsiaOne that she “would always have this feeling, like 'Why did they cast me in this particular role?’” She also mentioned that she “has been made to feel like a token Chinese or Asian before.”
- “It does feel like there's still a limit to a lot of people's imagination [on] what an actor is capable of beyond the color of their skin,” Chen was quoted as saying.
After starring in Marvel’s “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” Chinese American actor Fala Chen shared that she is still being typecast for potential movies and TV series.
Responding to reporters’ questions on Tuesday for the HBO limited series “Irma Vep,” Chen, 40, revealed that following her role as Ying Li in “Shang-Chi,” she has been offered roles for Asian characters who can only speak Chinese.
- IMDb presented Simu Liu with a “Fan Favorite” Starmeter Award in honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
- Liu reached the top 10 in the Starmeter rankings three times in the past year for his leading roles in Marvel’s “Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings” and CBC’s “Kim’s Convenience.”
- The award also celebrates the actor making history as the first Marvel Asian superhero.
- Liu is currently in London filming the upcoming romantic comedy film “Barbie.”
- He is also set to join the cast of “One True Loves,” a dramedy film that will premiere later this year.
IMDb presented Simu Liu with a “Fan Favorite” Starmeter Award in honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month.
The award recognizes Liu’s strong performance on the entertainment database site’s Starmeter rankings, which track the pageviews of its more than 200 million monthly visitors worldwide, according to a press release from the company.
- Netflix announced on Thursday that its hit fantasy drama series “The Witcher” would return for its third season with several new cast members, including actor Meng’er Zhang from “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”
- Meng’er Zhang played Shang-Chi’s estranged younger sister Xialing in the Marvel film, wowing crowds with her powerful moves and fierce determination to survive at all costs.
- “The Witcher” series, which is based on Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski’s books by the same name, follows the journey of monster-hunter Geralt of Rivia, played by Henry Cavill, and his quest to serve as crown princess Ciri of Cintra’s protector.
- According to “The Witcher” official Twitter account, Zhang will play character Milva, a “human adopted by the dryads of Brokilon Forest” who is “a fierce and talented huntress.”
Netflix announced on Thursday that its hit fantasy drama series “The Witcher” would return for its third season with several new cast members, including actor Meng’er Zhang from “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”
Meng’er Zhang played Shang-Chi’s estranged younger sister Xialing in the Marvel film, wowing crowds with her powerful moves and fierce determination to survive at all costs.
Some in Hollywood are apparently making very sure that actor Simu Liu’s name isn’t mispronounced.
The Chinese Canadian star of “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” tweeted a photo of the 94th Academy Awards’ teleprompter that used the phonetic spelling of his name.
“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star Simu Liu is set to attend The ACE Experience at comic convention Awesome Con alongside his co-stars Meng’er Zhang and Florian Munteanu, but fans must take note of some rules put in place for the signing event.
According to an ACE announcement, Liu, Zhang and Munteanu will be available for celebrity photo ops and in-person autographs on June 4 at Awesome Con at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C. The announcement also noted, however, that the actors would not be signing any comic books deemed offensive, particularly Marvel Comics’ original “Shang-Chi” run from 1974-83.
‘Don’t you dare take that’: Simu Liu begged ‘Shang-Chi’ producers to let him keep Shaun’s rare Air Jordan 4s
“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star Simu Liu begged the film production team to allow him to keep the rare Air Jordan 4s worn as a part of his character Shaun’s wardrobe, purportedly leading security to follow him around the set to make sure he did not steal the sneakers.
Liu wore a pair of the rare “Georgetown” colorways of Nike’s Air Jordan 4 shoes in scenes nearing the end of the 2021 Marvel film “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.” The actor, a sneakerhead, told Complex in an interview of his desire to keep the sneakers from the set’s wardrobe.
“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” director Destin Daniel Cretton just opened up the possibility of adding Jackie Chan to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Simu Liu won the Action Movie Star award at the 2021 People’s Choice Awards on Tuesday night.
The rundown: Liu took home the award for his performance in Marvel’s “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” which currently holds the record as the highest-grossing movie of the COVID-19 era in the domestic box office..