- Liu was up against names such as Charlize Theron (“F9: The Fast Saga”), Chris Pratt (“The Tomorrow War”), Daniel Craig (“No Time To Die”), Florence Pugh (“Black Widow”), John Cena (“F9: The Fast Saga”), Scarlett Johansson (“Black Widow”) and Vin Diesel (“F9: The Fast Saga”) in the category.
- The Chinese Canadian star’s acceptance speech centered around thanking his parents, supporters, fellow cast members and the production team behind the film. He specifically dedicated the award to director Destin Daniel Cretton, praising him for imagining “Shang-Chi” beyond his character in the 1970s comics.
- “It took an incredible filmmaker with an incredible vision to imagine this character not as that, but as somebody who is layered, who had texture, who had insecurity,” he said. “This movie is so much more than just an action movie. I think that’s what makes it so brilliant and what makes him [Cretton] so brilliant.”
- Liu also encouraged everyone to give themselves “permission”: “I went to college for finance and accounting, and it was because I didn’t have the courage inside me to give myself the permission to pursue what I truly wanted. So whatever that means for you guys, it all starts with permission to yourself.”
- Liu was also nominated for Male Movie Star of 2021, but Dwayne Johnson (“Jungle Cruise”) took home the award.
- “Not an understatement to say this is probably the best news I’ve seen in 2021,” one Twitter user wrote. “It’s obvious how hard you’ve worked and how much love you (and the whole cast and crew) have for ‘Shang-Chi.’”
- Another user commented, “Just saw it happen! I would’ve thrown something at the TV if you didn’t win that category.”
- A fan who voted from Japan wrote, “I and a lot of friends voted for you every day, so I’m very happy and happy! I’m glad I’m your fan. I would like to thank you and everyone involved with you.”
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.