“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star Simu Liu played mind games with host Sean Evans as his mouth scorched through 10 wings and questions in his premier “Hot Ones” interview with First We Feast.
The ten wings: In true “Hot Ones” fashion, 10 spicy sauces, starting and ending with the channel’s inhouse brand, were lined up and increased in Scoville Unit intensity from 6,200 to a “to be announced” unit most likely close to or within the millions.
- Paired with Liu’s favorite Jasmine bubble milk tea and a horchata-based drink for Evans, courtesy of Boba Guys, the two discussed a range of topics from wirework stunts and movie-making mishaps to his aspiring middle school boy band days.
- Liu gave a shout out to the influx of Asian American creators who used the platform in the early days of YouTube to build their brands and “made their own luck” at a time when film opportunities for Asians were scarce.
- “For so many of us, for millions of diasporic Asian youth, that was the only representation that we had for a really, really long time,” he said.
- Liu also talked about the strangest sightings of his stock photos in public spaces, among other odd jobs, as well as which Asian snacks he believes should be stocked in every one of America’s snack aisles. The Star Wars superfan also revealed who his favorite Jedi is.
Someone save him: Once Liu reached the notorious Da Bomb sauce, the actor started immediately chugging the bubble tea, ice water and ice cubes.
- “It’s like getting your heart broken for the first time — there’s no way to stop the hurt,” he added. At one point, all he could say was “pain.”
- He had one final message for the viewers, which he said hoarsely: “Follow your dreams, persevere through adversity, and when life gives you the tenth wing with the dab, you take that dab and you finish the whole damn wing.”
- At the very end, Liu mentioned that he is currently working on music.
Watch Liu spiral from a wing’s hellfire here: