“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star Simu Liu revealed that the sequel will not be released anytime soon.
Liu’s update: On Thursday, Liu set up an “ask me anything” session on Meta’s new social media app Threads, leading some users to ask him for updates on the upcoming film “Shang-Chi 2.”
The 34-year-old actor revealed that the sequel was originally set to debut after an “Avengers” film, which is believed to either be “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty” in 2026 or “Avengers: Secret Wars” in 2027.
“[I] was told it would follow avengers but that keeps pushing back due to circumstances beyond my control 🙁 hope to have more concrete news to share soon,” Liu wrote.
Speculations: Destin Daniel Cretton, who previously directed “Shang-Chi,” will be writing and directing the upcoming sequel. With Cretton directing “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty,” Liu is speculated to be reprising his role in the 2026 film.
Although work has begun on the “Shang-Chi” sequel, its title and plot remains unknown. In an interview with Complex last year, Liu said he hopes to explore his character’s “newfound power.”
“I’m curious as to how someone much younger, much more inexperienced, would fare against the rings,” Liu said. “Just this idea of all of a sudden being gifted something that’s so powerful but also so dangerous. And then the other big question I have is, you know, in what way does Shaun fit in with the rest of the MCU? Who are you going to see? What kind of crazy team-ups? What kinda tie-ins, Easter eggs? I’m just as much in the dark as everyone else.”