American born chinese
Designers Prabal Gurung , Phillip Lim to collab on costumes for Disney Plus’ ‘American Born Chinese’
- Renowned designers Prabal Gurung and Phillip Lim will collaborate for the first time in Disney Plus’ upcoming series “American Born Chinese.”
- Based on Gene Luen Yang’s graphic novel of the same name, “American Born Chinese” follows a high school student who makes a new friend and together find themselves caught in a war between gods of Chinese mythology.
- The series stars Ben Wang, Jim Liu, Michelle Yeoh and Daniel Wu, to name a few.
- Executive producer Melvin Mar described Gurung and Lim as “incredibly talented artists who have made their mark in the fashion world,” adding that they are “delighted and honored” to have them on the creative team.
Renowned Asian American fashion designers Prabal Gurung and Phillip Lim are collaborating professionally for the first time in Disney Plus’ upcoming adaptation of “American Born Chinese.”
The collaboration, which was first reported by Deadline, will see the pair work on culturally significant costumes for characters from Chinese mythology and classic literature.
Michelle Yeoh, Ben Wang participate in ‘blessing ceremony’ on day one of ‘American Born Chinese’ filming
- “American Born Chinese” co-executive producer Melvin Mar took to Instagram last Friday to share a photo of the cast performing a “blessing ceremony” on day one of shooting the show.
- In the photo, cast and crew members can be seen standing around a table decorated with candles, tea and an elaborate assortment of fruit.
- Also seen in the photo arestar Michelle Yeoh and director Destin Daniel Cretton, who are reuniting for “American Born Chinese” after working together on “Shangchi and The Legend of the Ten Rings.”
- The show, which will premiere on Disney Plus, is an adaptation of the 2006 graphic novel by the same name.
A photo shared by “American Born Chinese” co-executive producer Melvin Mar shows the series’ cast and crew participating in a “blessing ceremony” to kick off the show’s first day of production.
Michelle Yeoh, Daniel Wu join cast of Destin Daniel Cretton-helmed ‘American Born Chinese’ adaptation
- Michelle Yeoh is reuniting with “Shang-Chi” director Daniel Destin Cretton for the Disney Plus series adaptation of Gene Luen Yang’s award-winning graphic novel “American Born Chinese.”
- The upcoming series also stars Daniel Wu (“Into the Badlands”), Chin Han (“Mortal Kombat”), Ke Huy Quan (“Indiana Jones”), Ben Wang (“MacGyver”), Malaysian actress Yeo Yann Yann (“Havoc”) and newcomer Jim Liu.
- The show follows ordinary teenager Jin Wang, played by Ben Wang, whose life changes after meeting a new student named Wei-Chen, played by Liu.
- Yeoh will play the role of Wei-Chen’s aunt Guanyin while Wu will play the legendary Sun Wukong, the Monkey King from the Chinese epic “Journey to the West.”
Michelle Yeoh is among the star-studded cast of Disney Plus’ “American Born Chinese,” the series adaptation of Gene Luen Yang’s award-winning graphic novel of the same name.
Yeoh will be joining Daniel Wu (“Into the Badlands”), Chin Han (“Mortal Kombat”), Ke Huy Quan (“Indiana Jones”), Ben Wang (“MacGyver”), Malaysian actress Yeo Yann Yann (“Havoc”) and newcomer Jim Liu in the project, reported Deadline.
Gene Luen Yang talks 15th anniversary of ‘American Born Chinese,’ diversity in comics, upcoming series
As the iconic graphic novel “American Born Chinese” turns 15 this year, Asian American writer and artist Gene Luen Yang spoke to NextShark about his reflections on the book nearly two decades later, as well as updates on his current and upcoming projects.
An award-winning graphic novel