- Changin’ Pictures, a production company launched by famed Hong Kong director Peter Chan, is set to debut five TV shows at Busan International Film Festival this week, including two projects starring Donnie Yen and Zhang Ziyi.
- Yen, 59, will both serve as both showrunner and star in a martial arts series titled “Outright Loser, Hidden Master,” while Ziyi, 43, will play the role of a woman accused of murdering her abusive husband in “The Murderer.”
- Other titles include TV adaptations of the popular webtoons “ONE: High School Heroes” and “Heesu in Class 2,” as well as the anthology reboot of the 2002 Thai horror film “The Eye.”
- While Changin’ Pictures' five new shows are set in Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Japan, the company plans to expand in the future to other areas across Asia, including Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and the Philippines.
- “We aspire to be Asia’s most effective one stop shop for international production partners and streaming platforms,” Chan said.
Changin’ Pictures, a production company launched by famed Hong Kong director Peter Chan, is set to debut five TV shows at Busan International Film Festival this week, including two projects starring film icons Donnie Yen and Zhang Ziyi.
The company will first premiere two Korean shows based on popular webtoons in South Korea, according to Variety.
- Hong Kong saw a massive surge of inbound and outbound travelers after Chief Executive John Lee uplifted its mandatory COVID-19 hotel quarantine protocol last week.
- Travel agency Trip.com reportedly saw a 400% increase in outbound bookings on Sept. 24 and Sept. 25 compared to the previous weekend, while inbound bookings surged by 150%.
- Flight bookings for Osaka, one of the recent top destinations alongside Tokyo, Bangkok and Singapore, were up by 7,300%, the website noted.
- Ticket prices have also increased amid the influx of travelers.
- “I’m conscious of the fact that, while we need to control the spread of COVID, we also need to ensure that there will be maximum activities in society and economic activities for society to carry on,” Lee said.
Plane ticket prices to and from Hong Kong recently underwent a massive surge after the city announced it would finally ease its COVID-19 protocols for arriving tourists and returning residents.
For the first time in two-and-a-half years, tourists can now enter Hong Kong without having to do a mandatory weeks-long hotel quarantine at their own expense.
- On Thursday, Japan’s government announced that the country would be reopening its borders to all individual tourists starting on Oct. 11.
- Taiwan also announced its plan to remove inbound quarantine for international arrivals by Oct. 13.
- Similarly, the Hong Kong government announced on Friday its conclusion of hotel quarantine for inbound travelers starting Sep. 26.
- As for mainland China, the government maintains its “zero COVID” policy that still requires travelers to quarantine at a hotel for 10 days at their own expense.
After more than two years of strict border restrictions, Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong have lifted COVID-19 restrictions on inbound travelers.
On Thursday, Japan’s government announced that the country would be resuming visa-free access for certain countries and reopening its borders to all individual tourists starting on Oct. 11.
- Hong Kong actor Jason Wong was brutally attacked by a man with a knife while having dinner with other local celebrities in China on Aug. 29
- Wong, 44, believes the incident was a case of mistaken identity as he later noted how the attacker realized he had the wrong person soon after the stabbing.
- "I have acted in an upright manner, and I do not feel that I have offended others," Wong wrote in a statement on Weibo. "I thought a lot but I really can't think of a reason for the attack, and I think the attack was an 'unexpected disaster.’"
- He shared that he saw the skin of his own face "fall off" during the attack and that his "eyeballs were nearly chopped off."
- Wong was rushed to the hospital and endured nearly six hours of surgery to repair multiple injuries to his face, left wrist and waist, which required over 100 stitches.
- Wong, who has been dubbed “Louis Koo’s doppelganger” for his uncanny resemblance to the popular actor, told Sina.com that Koo gave him HK$50,000 (approximately $6,369) after the attack.
Hong Kong actor Jason Wong was brutally attacked while having dinner with other local celebrities on Aug. 29 at the restaurant of retired actor Frankie Ng in Shenzhen, China.
Wong, 44, was dining with Ng, as well as actors Ai Wai and Jason Chu, when an assailant charged at him and started stabbing him with a kitchen knife.
Veteran activist Alexandra Wong, popularly known as “Grandma Wong,” was sentenced to eight months in jail over her participation in pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.
Wong, 66, was sentenced at the Eastern Court on Wednesday with two counts of unlawful assembly in connection with two flash mobs during a protest on Aug. 11, 2019.
- A 26-year-old man, only identified as Fan, was declared dead on Tuesday after reportedly falling from his apartment building in Sai Wan, Hong Kong, while trying to retrieve his AirPods.
- Fan had dropped his wireless earbuds onto a metallic canopy outside his window, according to reports.
- Several eyewitnesses reportedly tried to stop him, thinking he was attempting suicide, but he reassured them that he was not trying to kill himself.
- Fan slipped and fell from either the fourth or fifth floor of his building onto the East Side street pavement.
- Paramedics arrived at the scene at 12:18 a.m. and found him in a coma with severe head injuries before taking him to Queen Mary Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, according to reports.
A man in Hong Kong met his untimely demise on Tuesday after reportedly falling from his apartment building while trying to retrieve his AirPods.
Viral videos of couple having sex outside in private Hong Kong hotel jacuzzi sparks privacy concerns
Two viral videos showing a couple having sex in their private outdoor jacuzzi in a Hong Kong hotel have ignited privacy concerns among social media users.
The videos, which were reportedly shared on Facebook and WhatsApp groups several days ago, show a couple having sex in their private outdoor jacuzzi as another person films them from above.
Watch: Hong Kong residents bid farewell to Jumbo Floating Restaurant as it is towed to secret location
- The Jumbo Floating Restaurant offered Chinese banquet-style fine dining and was known for their Cantonese cuisine and seafood dishes. The venue boasted more than 45,000 square feet over three floors and had the capacity to accommodate 2,300 diners.
- During the start of the pandemic in 2020, the tourist attraction was shut down and all of its staff dismissed. Shareholders spent millions of Hong Kong dollars just for inspection and maintenance despite the restaurant never opening its doors due to COVID-19 regulations.
- Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises did not reveal Jumbo Floating Restaurant’s new destination.
Admirers watched helplessly as the iconic Jumbo Floating Restaurant was towed away from Aberdeen Harbor in Hong Kong on June 14.
Founded in October 1976, Jumbo Floating Restaurant became the second floating restaurant in the Jungle Kingdom after Tai Pak Floating Restaurant was opened in 1952, burned down in 1971 and remodeled in 1987. The late Macau casino tycoon Stanley Ho Hung-sun invested millions to create Jumbo Floating Restaurant and its artwork, dragons and colorful pagoda heavily inspired by Imperial China. Both restaurants were renovated in 2003.
- Hong Kongers are seeking help for the iconic landmark Jumbo Floating Restaurant days after its kitchen barge sank on May 31.
- Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor declared in a statement released in late May that the local government has no intention to invest in the tourist attraction.
- Opened by the late Macau casino tycoon Stanley Ho Hung-sun in 1976, the three-story-high restaurant spanning 76 meters (249 feet) has reportedly served over 30 billion customers since its opening day, including royals such as Queen Elizabeth, Hollywood stars Gwyneth Paltrow and Tom Cruise and Hong Kong actor Chow Yun-fat.
- In early 2020, the establishment closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Its owner has reported losses totaling more than 100 million Hong Kong dollars (approximately $12.75 million).
Hong Kongers are seeking help for the iconic landmark Jumbo Floating Restaurant days after its kitchen barge sank and the local government refused to keep the establishment afloat.
In a statement released in late May, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor declared that the government has no intention to invest in the tourist attraction, which has proven costly to repair and maintain.
- Tong Cheuk-him, 19, pleaded guilty to animal cruelty charges after running a business that performs animal sacrifices for clients with romantic problems.
- The Hong Kong student created an Instagram account for his “fortune-telling” business in August 2021, and he offered services such as the “love ritual” and “break-up ritual.”
- The rituals involved slashing a small animal with a knife to drain their blood to improve his clients’ luck in romance or put a curse on a couple.
- He had reportedly earned about 118,600 Hong Kong dollars (approximately $15,114) for his “violent and cruel” ceremonies on animals such as rabbits, frogs and mice between July 25, 2021, and August 11, 2021.
- Tong is currently serving time at a rehabilitation center for participating in an unlawful assembly protest in 2019. His sentencing is set for June 14.
A Hong Kong student pleaded guilty to animal cruelty charges after running a business that performs animal sacrifices for clients with romantic problems.
Tong Cheuk-him, 19, pleaded guilty to two counts of cruelly ill-treating animals, one count of attempting to do so and six counts of conspiracy to commit the offense on Monday.
- A father in Hong Kong was forced to pay HK$33,600 (approximately $4,255) at a designer toy store after his son knocked over a golden Teletubbies figure.
- The incident occurred at the KKPlus store in Langham Place mall in Hong Kong on Sunday evening.
- Staff members at the store told the father and his wife that their son was seen kicking the Teletubbies figure and asked for compensation.
- The father believes his son may have been falsely accused after a video of the incident showed the 5-year-old slightly leaning on the figure.
- In response, KKPlus released a statement that the figure had not brought any trouble in the past and has been in the same spot since November 2021.
A father was forced to pay HK$33,600 (approximately $4,255) as compensation after his 5-year-old boy knocked over a golden Teletubbies figure in a Hong Kong designer toy store.
On Sunday evening, the man, Cheng, visited the KKPlus store in Langham Place mall in Hong Kong with his wife and two sons. When he stepped out to take a phone call, he reportedly heard a loud crashing sound behind him and discovered that his son had shattered an over-1.8–meter-tall (5.9 feet) golden Teletubbies figure.
China says US has ‘evil intentions’ after YouTube channel of Hong Kong chief executive candidate shut down
- Google terminated the YouTube campaign channel of Beijing-backed Hong Kong chief executive candidate John Lee Ka-chiu in compliance with U.S. sanctions on Wednesday.
- Lee was one of the Hong Kong and Chinese officials who were sanctioned by the U.S. in July 2020 after passing China’s national security law.
- Lee’s U.S. assets are blocked, and American businesses are prohibited from conducting transactions with him as part of the sanction against him.
- In a statement, Tam Yiu-chung, head of Lee’s campaign office, said the action was “very regrettable and completely unreasonable, but we think they can’t stop us from spreading our candidate’s message – our campaign’s message – to the public.”
- Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin accused the U.S. of interfering with Hong Kong’s internal affairs on Thursday by “using different excuses and has evil intentions in destroying Hong Kong’s chief executive election,” adding that Google was complicit.
- Lee, a police officer-turned-politician, is the only Beijing-backed chief executive candidate approved to run for the upcoming May 8 election. The last time a sole candidate ran for the position was during the 1997 handover.
China’s Foreign Ministry has called out the United States’ “hypocrisy and double standard” after Google took down a Beijing-backed Hong Kong chief executive candidate’s YouTube channel.
John Lee Ka-chiu’s campaign office was reportedly informed by Google about the removal of Lee’s YouTube campaign channel in compliance with U.S. sanctions on Wednesday.