- The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) is searching for a man who reportedly bear-sprayed an 84-year-old victim in Vancouver’s Chinatown on Friday at around 11:40 a.m.
- The victim was standing at the bus stop near Pender Street and Columbia Street when the suspect "came up to him, made racist comments, then bear-sprayed him in the face," according to the VPD.
- Constable Tania Visintin said the assault, which “may have been fuelled by anti-Asian hate,” was witnessed by at least one passerby.
- On Saturday, the VPD released a picture of the attacker, describing him as a 6-foot-tall man between 30 and 40 years old. He was last seen wearing a black jacket, dark-colored pants and gray shoes with red trim and white soles. He also had a gray baseball cap and a black backpack.
- Authorities are investigating whether the Friday attack is connected to last week’s vandalism incident that occurred nearby at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden.
The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) is searching for a man who reportedly bear-sprayed an elderly victim in Vancouver’s Chinatown last week.
The assault occurred on Friday at around 11:40 a.m. at the bus stop near Pender Street and Columbia Street. The victim, an 87-year-old Chinatown resident, was standing at the bus stop when the suspect “came up to him, made racist comments, then bear-sprayed him in the face,” the VPD said in a news release.
- Emily Chhun, 26, fell victim to a violent robbery outside a Safeway in San Leandro, California, on May 11.
- The male assailant allegedly punched and pistol-whipped Chhun during the attack, leaving her with a concussion and a broken nose.
- The suspect managed to flee with Chhun’s purse, which contained cash, ID, credit cards and keys.
- Community members held a Stop Asian Hate rally and demanded justice for Chhun outside the supermarket on May 15.
- A GoFundMe page has been set up to help with Chhun’s medical bills.
A Cambodian American woman is left traumatized after falling victim to a violent robbery outside a supermarket in San Leandro, California, earlier this month.
Emily Chhun, 26, had just returned to her car after buying some snacks at a Safeway on Washington Avenue when the horror unfolded.
- Jesse Bartlett, 46, is accused of sending threatening letters in which he claimed to eat the flesh of people he murdered.
- The letters, attributed to a “Chinese Zodiac Killer,” were sent to private businesses, houses of worship, media outlets and government offices – including the White House – in northeastern states.
- The alias Chinese Zodiac Killer appears to be a reference to the infamous Zodiac Killer, who also sent threatening letters but was confirmed to have murdered at least five people in Northern California in the 1960s.
- Bartlett has been charged with mailing threatening letters and faces up to five years in prison, up to $250,000 in fines and up to three years of supervised release.
A man who allegedly sent threatening letters in which he claimed to eat people he murdered has been arrested and charged by the FBI on Thursday.
Jesse Bartlett, 46, is accused of sending such letters to private businesses, houses of worship, media outlets and government offices in northeastern states, including New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Vermont and the District of Columbia.
An OnlyFans creator has claimed during a recent podcast appearance that she had sex with Meta employees to have her blocked Instagram account restored.
Kitty Lixo, who has a growing following on Instagram, made the shocking allegation on the “No Jumper” podcast.
- Police arrested a 36-year-old man believed by homicide detectives to be involved in two separate deaths in Chinatown in Edmonton, Canada, on Wednesday.
- Officers responded to an aggravated assault report at an auto body shop around 4 p.m. and found a 64-year-old man with life-threatening injuries. He was transported to a hospital before he succumbed to his injuries on Thursday.
- While officers were investigating the first attack, they were alerted to another assault at 105 Avenue and 98 Street. A 61-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.
- An autopsy of the body is scheduled for Friday. There are currently no further details about his death.
- Charges are still pending.
A suspect believed to be involved in two separate deaths in Edmonton’s Chinatown in Canada has been arrested, police said on Thursday.
Edmonton police arrested a 36-year-old man on Wednesday after officers responded to an aggravated assault report at an auto body shop in the area of 106 Avenue and 98 Street around 4 p.m.
Teen girl arrested for stalking, brandishing box cutter at member of Japanese boy band 7 Men Samurai
- Police arrested a 17-year-old high school student who followed 7 Men Samurai musical group member Taiko Sasaki on four separate occasions between April 1, 2021 and May 8, 2022.
- She began following him after she spotted him at the Shibuya Station in Tokyo and “fell in love at first sight.”
- The teen would reportedly call on the musician and grab him, causing Sasaki to consult with the Shibuya Police Station in November.
- The police previously issued warnings and spoke to her parents. However, the student followed and approached Sasaki with a box cutter on April 30.
- Sasaki was not injured. The teen was apprehended before she could harm herself and others.
Shibuya Police arrested a 17-year-old girl for stalking and brandishing a box cutter at a member of the Japanese boy band 7 Men Samurai.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department announced the arrest of the unidentified high school student on Wednesday in Yokohama for violating the Stalker Control Law and Act on Punishment of Physical Violence.
- Edwin Fantauzzi, a man accused of sexually assaulting a woman on Boston’s Harrison Avenue on Saturday, was arrested on Wednesday after a woman riding the T train recognized him and called the police.
- He reportedly claimed to be an Uber driver and asked to use a bathroom inside a 22-year-old woman’s apartment building at around 6:30 a.m. on Saturday.
- Authorities are investigating whether Fantauzzi could be linked to the sexual assault of a Boston University student on Friday night.
- Fantauzzi, a listed Level 3 sex offender, was previously convicted in 2009 for indecent assault and battery of a child.
A man arrested for sexual assault in Boston’s Chinatown may be linked to another assault on a Boston University student last week, according to reports.
Edwin Fantauzzi, 33, a suspect accused of sexually assaulting a woman on Harrison Avenue on Saturday, was arrested on Wednesday after a woman riding the T train recognized him and called the police.
- David Wenwei Chou, the gunman who opened fire at a Southern California Taiwanese church on Sunday, mailed a flash drive and seven photocopied volumes titled “Diary of an Angel Destroying Independence” to the Los Angeles offices of the Chinese-language newspaper World Journal before the attack.
- Maxwell Lin, a lawyer for the World Journal, said he believes no one from the newspaper read through the documents before they were sent to him.
- Lin said the newspaper had no intention of withholding the documents and that the diary pages will be shared with law enforcement once he receives a subpoena.
- Chou is currently booked on one count of murder and five counts of attempted murder and is being held on a $1 million bail at the Orange County Intake Release Center.
- Members of the Taiwanese Presbyterian Church (ITPC) have launched a GoFundMe page for families of the victims and to support the church.
The gunman who opened fire at a Southern California Taiwanese church on Sunday sent a seven-volume diary to the Los Angeles offices of the World Journal before the attack, a lawyer for the Chinese-language newspaper said.
David Wenwei Chou, the 68-year-old suspect, mailed a flash drive and seven photocopied volumes titled “Diary of an Angel Destroying Independence” that were handwritten in Chinese and secured with binder clips.
Suspect in Dallas Korean hair salon shooting faces 4 new charges; $300,000 bail expected to increase
- Jeremy Theron Smith, the suspect accused of opening fire inside a Korean-owned hair salon in northwest Dallas and wounding three women last week, faces an additional four charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
- Smith was previously arrested on three charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on Tuesday morning.
- His girlfriend told authorities that Smith had “delusions” about Asians attempting to harm him after he was involved in a car crash with an Asian driver about two years ago.
- The police are investigating whether the shooting could be connected to two other shootings at separate businesses run by Asian Americans in Dallas.
- Smith is being held at the Dallas County jail. His bond was set at $300,000 on the first three charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His bail on the additional four charges has not yet been set.
The suspect accused of opening fire inside a Korean-owned hair salon in northwest Dallas last week faces seven charges.
- Three members of a national white supremacist group called The Base have pleaded guilty in Michigan to conspiring to train for a civil disorder.
- The Base, which is the English translation of “Al-Qaeda,” claims to be training for a race war that would establish white rule across the U.S.
- Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said the convictions send a message that the state “will not hesitate to prosecute those who commit crimes in the name of overthrowing our government or perpetuating racist ideologies.”
- Multiple alleged members of the neo-Nazi group were arrested in January 2020, the same month right-wing extremists stormed the U.S. Capitol.
Three members of a national white supremacist group called The Base have pleaded guilty in Michigan to conspiring to train for a civil disorder, marking the first convictions of the felony in the state’s history.
Founded in 2018, The Base, which is the English translation of “Al-Qaeda,” is a loose, neo-Nazi organization that openly advocates for violence against the U.S. and claims to be training for a “race war” to establish white rule across the country, including Michigan’s predominantly white Upper Peninsula.
Dallas Korean hair salon shooting suspect had ‘delusions’ about Asian Americans, according to arrest warrant
- Jeremy Theron Smith, who opened fire inside a Korean-owned hair salon in northwest Dallas on May 11, was arrested on three charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on Tuesday morning.
- The 37-year-old suspect’s girlfriend told police that he had been admitted into health facilities due to his “delusions” about Asian Americans. She said that Smith was involved in a car crash involving an Asian driver about two years ago and has since “had near panic attacks when he is around anyone of Asian descent” and “delusions that the Asian mob is after him or attempting to harm him.”
- Smith admitted to being in the Dallas area, owning the red minivan and possessing a .380-caliber handgun and a .22-caliber rifle.
- Police Chief Eddie Garcia said the shooting could be linked to two other shootings at separate businesses run by Asian Americans.
- Smith is currently being held at the Dallas County jail, and his bond has not been set yet.
The suspect who opened fire inside a Korean-owned hair salon in northwest Dallas and left three women wounded on Wednesday has been arrested.
Jeremy Theron Smith, 37, was arrested on three charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on Tuesday morning.
- An 8-year-old boy was caught on surveillance footage violently attacking a 2-year-old girl while trying to steal her snacks on May 5.
- The boy, a second-grade primary school student named Zhuang, can be seen entering the toddler’s home in China and repeatedly stomping her head before running away as her grandfather comes rushing to her rescue.
- The toddler suffered head trauma during the attack and received two months of treatment for four loose and damaged teeth.
- Zhuang’s parents refused to apologize or express remorse and asked the toddler’s family not to report the attack.
- Despite the boy’s family’s request, the girl’s parents filed a police report.
- The incident is now under investigation.
Surveillance footage from China showed an 8-year-old boy violently stomping on the head of a 2-year-old girl to steal the snacks she was carrying.
On May 5, the boy, named Zhuang, entered the toddler’s home in Haikou where she was playing alone, according to a Weibo post from Owl Video. He allegedly demanded that the toddler hand over her snacks, but when she refused, he began to beat her.