- Li Hunan, a 60-year-old chef, was charged with the murder of his colleague Il Sung, 58, at a Korean restaurant in London on Aug. 15.
- The two men were reportedly arguing about food preparations as Hunan questioned his coworker’s skills as a chef before the altercation turned physical.
- Sung suffered two fatal stab wounds to the chest and slash wounds on his body.
- Hunan was remanded in custody. He is set to appear in court on Nov. 4 for a plea hearing.
A chef at a Korean restaurant in London allegedly murdered his colleague due to his poor food preparation skills.
Li Hunan, 60, was charged with the murder of his colleague Il Sung, 58, at the Airang Korean restaurant in Poland Street, Soho, on Aug. 15.
PhD student in UK who masturbated to manga about young boys for research paper triggers investigation
- The University of Manchester in England and peer-reviewed scientific journal Qualitative Research announced they are investigating the published paper written by Karl Andersson, a visual anthropologist and Ph.D. student, on April 26.
- The paper, titled “I am not alone – we are all alone: Using masturbation as an ethnographic method in research on shota subculture in Japan,” gave explicit, graphic details on how Andersson masturbated to Japanese comics depicting young boys for three months.
- “In this research note, I will recount how I set up an experimental method of masturbating to shota comics, and how this participant observation of my own desire not only gave me a more embodied understanding of the topic for my research but also made me think about loneliness and ways to combat it as driving forces of the culture of self-published erotic comics,” Andersson wrote in the nearly 4,000-word paper.
- Outrage soon spread online after a netizen on Mumsnet, a popular London-based internet forum for parents, shared the paper and called it a "PhD. in w*nking."
- Several Twitter users also called out Andersson and those responsible for publishing the paper.
- “Why should hard-working taxpayers in my constituency have to pay for an academic to write about his experiences masturbating to Japanese porn?” Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) Neil O’Brien tweeted.
The University of Manchester in England and peer-reviewed scientific journal Qualitative Research have launched an investigation into a research paper written by a Ph.D. student who described how he masturbated to Japanese comics depicting young boys for three months.
Karl Andersson, a visual anthropologist and Ph.D. student at the University of Manchester, drew controversy last week after his research paper, titled “I am not alone – we are all alone: Using masturbation as an ethnographic method in research on shota subculture in Japan,” began circulating on social media.
Singaporean man accused of smothering his ‘nagging’ wife to death in UK says he can’t remember killing her
- Fong Soong Hert, 51, allegedly murdered his wife Pek Ying Ling, 51, by suffocating her to stop her from “nagging him” at the County Aparthotel in England on Dec. 6, 2021.
- Fong pleaded guilty to manslaughter on March 18.
- Although he accepted killing his wife, he told the Newcastle Crown Court on Monday that he has no recollection of the incident.
- “I don’t remember, I really want to, I cannot explain,” he said. “I’m really desperate to understand what happened and what went wrong.”
- The trial is still ongoing. In Britain, the maximum penalty for murder or manslaughter is life imprisonment.
A Singaporean man accused of smothering his wife to death while on vacation said he has no recollection of the incident last year.
Fong Soong Hert, 51, allegedly murdered his wife Pek Ying Ling, 51, by suffocating her with a pillow to stop her from “nagging him” at the County Aparthotel in Newcastle, England, on Dec. 6, 2021.
A Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) was asked to step down from his senior position at a charity after saying that two of the Tory party’s most senior Asian ministers “all look the same” to him.
What happened: James Gray, the MP for North Wiltshire, England, incorrectly introduced Nadhim Zahawi, the former minister for COVID vaccine deployment, as the health secretary at a Parliament event on Sept. 8, where officials honored volunteers in the COVID-19 vaccine program, according to The Guardian. The actual health secretary is Sajid Javid.
A Chinese Cambridge University alumnus has created a “Stop Asian Hate” petition after he was racially and physically attacked by a group of teenagers while grocery shopping in England.
Unprovoked assault: Zhang, 25, was out buying groceries at Co-op food shop on Sept. 18 when a group of around 10 teens allegedly began calling him racial slurs like “ch*nk” and telling him to “go back to your home country,” Varsity.co.uk reported.
A 67-year-old woman whose body was found decapitated in southwest England may have been killed because she was Asian, according to a campaign group.
What happened: Mee Kuen Chong was last seen in the Wembley area of London on June 10 and was reported missing the next day. She was found headless in the woods near Bennett Road in Salcombe, Devon County on June 27, according to the BBC.
An owner of a Chinese restaurant in England went viral for her response to negative reviews on an online food order and delivery website.
Alice Cheung, 50, owner of Chinese takeout establishment Oriental Express in Leeds, West Yorkshire, won the internet for her no-nonsense replies to negative reviews on Just Eat, according to LADBible.
A lecturer at the University of Southampton is now recovering from injuries after getting brutally attacked in broad daylight.
Avon and Somerset Police are looking for four men in relation to two attacks on a Chinese restaurant in Bristol last month.
The first attack happened on Oct. 26 around 8:45 p.m. when the group threw bricks at the window of a Chinese restaurant, which was not named, in Bedminster, Bristol, according to Bristol Post. Another attack occurred the following day at 9:30 p.m. when an unidentified person lit a firecracker and threw it in the same restaurant before it exploded, with staff still inside.
An employee of an ice cream parlor in England reportedly berated an Asian family, calling them “monkeys” while chasing them out of the store.
Harrowing experience: 40-year-old father Mohammed Abubakar Qasim shared on Facebook how he and his three children received verbal abuse from a worker at Charlotte’s Ice Cream Parlour in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, Mirror Online reports.
An arrest was made in connection to the viral video of a Pakistani-British taxi driver being harassed by a racist passenger last week.
An unidentified 53-year-old man was arrested in Erdington, West Midlands, England on Friday afternoon following a viral video posted on Twitter on June 3.
Police in England is now investigating racist graffiti left on the walls of a Chinese takeout restaurant as a hate crime amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The incident occurred outside the Tin Sing restaurant in Quarry Bank, Dudley last week where the xenophobic statements “F*** China” and “we don’t want you here, f*** off” were sprayed in front of their store, according to Newsweek.