Chinese Restaurant Goes Viral for Savage Clap Backs of Negative Reviews

Chinese Restaurant Goes Viral for Savage Clap Backs of Negative Reviews

March 31, 2021
An owner of a Chinese restaurant in England went viral for her response to negative reviews on an online food order and delivery website.
Alice Cheung, 50, owner of Chinese takeout establishment Oriental Express in Leeds, West Yorkshire, won the internet for her no-nonsense replies to negative reviews on Just Eat, according to LADBible.
Image Screenshot via Just Eat
In one of the replies, Cheung claps back at a user named Carrie after she complained about a meal box she ordered that only contained chips and two onion rings, among other things. She also allegedly called the restaurant to complain there was no meat in her order.
“You ordered a Vegetarian Munch Box and then called the shop to complain there was no MEAT in it,” Cheung, under the handle of Oriental Express, said in her reply. “We sent what you ordered and there was nothing wrong with it. The bad review is to cover your error. BTW this is what is in a Vegetarian Munch Box: Salt and Pepper Chips, Salt and Pepper Mushrooms and Green Pepper, Salt and Pepper Tofu, Vegetable Spring Rolls, Vegetable Curry Samosa & Onion Rings. So how was it all chips. Please do not call again.”
Image screenshot via Just Eat
Another user, Laura, posted a negative review criticizing her order and calling it terrible. The user said she ordered a chicken dish but received “small pieces of battered dry chicken mixed in with battered prawns” that “totally ruined this dish.”
Subscribe to
NextShark's Newsletter

A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.

Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.

Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.

“Hi Laura, will you please open your eyes and read the descriptions, you ordered the ‘Special sweet and sour’ which contains king prawns,” Cheung said in her reply. “You got what you ordered so how is this our fault. The food was fresh and perfectly cooked. We are good but mind reading the stupid is not one of our skills.”
Here are Cheung’s other responses to negative reviews on Just Eat:
Image screenshot via Just Eat
Cheung called out customers for exaggerating the lateness of the restaurant’s delivery, stood by the quality of her food and made the customers question their own morals.
Image Screenshot via Just Eat
Image Screenshot via Just Eat
Image Screenshot via Just Eat
“[Negative] reviews tend to put business owners down and demotivate them, I want to be realistic,” Cheung told Leeds Live. “I think review [responses] should be honest and not corporate responses. People need to know the truth especially other people reading reviews!”
Cheung said the restaurant, a family establishment she’s run since 2004, always aims to provide the “highest quality meals,” and they take “food very seriously.”
“We’re happy with our customers and have regulars who are always happy with our meals,” Cheung added. “95 per cent are positive reviews the other 5 per cent are sometimes our own fault for not delivering fast enough, or you can’t please everyone. Everyone has different tastes so no one can be perfect.”
“If you’re writing a review just be honest about the situation,” she said. “If we messed up, we’ll reply seriously if not expect some banter.”
Feature Image via Google Maps, Oriental Express
      Bryan Ke

      Bryan Ke is a Reporter for NextShark




      Many people might not know this, but NextShark is a small media startup that runs on no outside funding or loans, and with no paywalls or subscription fees, we rely on help from our community and readers like you.

      Everything you see today is built by Asians, for Asians to help amplify our voices globally and support each other. However, we still face many difficulties in our industry because of our commitment to accessible and informational Asian news coverage.

      We hope you consider making a contribution to NextShark so we can continue to provide you quality journalism that informs, educates, and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for supporting NextShark and our community.

      © 2023 NextShark, Inc. All rights reserved.