- Crew workers on an excavation project found a human arm bone under a Japanese garden at the Denver Botanic Gardens.
- The crew was replacing stream and pond linings at the time to prevent further water loss caused by cracks and damaged linings.
- The gardens sit on an area that was once the city’s oldest and largest cemetery.
- This is not the first occurrence, as human remains were previously discovered in the same area in 2008.
An excavation crew discovered a human bone while working on an excavation project at the Japanese Garden of the Denver Botanic Gardens.
The project was initiated to replace damaged and cracked linings in the streams, where the bone was found, and ponds in an effort to prevent further water loss, according to Associate Director of Communications Erin Bird.
- Plastic surgeon Dr. Geoffrey Kim and nurse anesthetist Rex Meeker were charged with reckless manslaughter in connection to a disastrous breast augmentation surgery in Colorado back in August 2019.
- The patient, 19-year-old Emmalyn Nguyen, spent more than a year in a vegetative state before passing away in October 2020.
- Nguyen’s family filed a civil lawsuit in December 2019, which concluded last year after Kim and Meeker each agreed to pay $1 million.
- Following an arrest warrant, Kim surrendered himself to the police on Wednesday. However, he was released on a $5,000 bond.
- An arrest warrant was also issued for Meeker, who remains out of custody.
Editor’s Note: This article has been updated to include that Rex Meeker had also turned himself over to police.
A plastic surgeon and a nurse anesthetist in Colorado are now facing criminal charges in connection to a disastrous breast augmentation surgery that led to a young woman’s death in October 2020.
Students organize walkout after forced dismissal of gay Valor Christian High School coach in Colorado
Valor Christian High School students organized a walkout after the school forcibly dismissed their volleyball coach Inoke Tonga for being gay.
Forced removal: Tonga was confronted about his sexual orientation during a meeting with the campus pastor and athletic director on Aug. 19, according to the former coach’s lengthy Facebook post.
Republican Senate candidate Peter Yu defended his statement at a campaign event in Golden, Colo., last month, suggesting the #StopAsianHate movement has been “politically exaggerated.”
What happened: Speaking at an event hosted by the Colorado Log Cabin Republicans on July 20, Yu said he had never experienced anti-Asian discrimination amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Colorado Times Recorder reported.
The death of an Asian American teenager who was set on fire and burned alive in Colorado in 2017 will now be investigated as a possible hate crime by the FBI.
The details: In a statement, the federal law enforcement agency shared that it is looking into the case of 17-year-old Maggie Long as a “hate crime matter,” reported CBS4.
Three of four suspects accused of targeting dozens of Asian American business owners and their families in Colorado and Wyoming in 2019 have been arrested and charged this week.
The investigation, known as “Operation Daylight,” started in Fort Collins, Colorado after five residential burglaries were reported between January 2019 and April 2019.
Two 16-year-olds will face charges as adults after setting fire to a house that killed five people in Green Valley Ranch in Denver last year.
Arrest and charges: Kevin Bui and Gavin Seymour, two of the three arrested teens connected to the fire that killed members of an immigrant family in August 2020, have been charged as adults, prosecutors said on Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.
The 19-year-old woman from Thornton, Colorado, who went into a coma after a botched breast implant operation last year, has died.
Tragic news: Emmalyn Nguyen died on Oct. 4, but her family did not share the news of her passing until after her funeral on Oct. 11, according to KDVR.
Local authorities in Denver busted a multi-million dollar human trafficking ring operating in the area following a year-long investigation.
The ring: Seven people were indicted for their alleged involvement in illegal massage parlors that trafficked women from China, the Denver Channel reported.
A questionable “restaurant” bearing the anti-Asian slur “Ching Chong” has surfaced on Instagram and Yelp.
“Ching Chong House,” which claims to serve takeout and delivery, identifies its location at 1120 City Park Ave. in Fort Collins, Colorado.
The Sikh Coalition has called on authorities to press hate crime charges in an incident that left a liquor store owner hospitalized for months after a White man allegedly ran over him.
The incident reportedly started inside the Sikh man’s store, Two Angels Liquors, at 2589 S. Lewis Way in Lakewood, Colorado on April 29.
Colorado nurses launched a silent counter-protest to the hundreds who gathered for an anti-lockdown campaign on Sunday.