‘Free speech absolutist’ Elon Musk pursues ‘like-minded Chinese partners’ in column for China’s online censor
- Elon Musk recently contributed to China Wangxin, a magazine launched by the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), the country’s government agency that oversees online censorship.
- The article, titled “Believe in technology, create a better future,” was published in the magazine’s fourth issue in July.
- Musk, who describes himself as a “free speech absolutist,” became the first foreigner to write for the CAC’s magazine, which typically features pieces written by government officials, professors and state-owned enterprise executives.
- “I want to do everything we can to maximize the use of technology to help achieve a better future for humanity,” the SpaceX founder and Tesla CEO wrote, according to a translated version. “To that end, any area that contributes to a sustainable future is worthy of our investment.”
- “I also welcome more like-minded Chinese partners to join us in exploring clean energy, artificial intelligence, human-machine collaboration, and space exploration to create a future worth waiting for,” Musk concluded.
Elon Musk has become the first foreigner to write an article for a Chinese magazine launched by China’s official agency that oversees online censorship.
The 51-year-old SpaceX founder claimed he was invited earlier this year by China Wangxin, the magazine of the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), to write an article about his “thoughts on the vision of technology and humanity.”
- Drew Pavlou, a 20-year-old activist running for Queensland’s Senate, incensed crowds at a shopping area in Sydney when he showed up with a “F*ck Xi Jinping” sign on Saturday.
- Video from the daring stunt shows at least three people yelling expletives at Pavlou, who claimed that the situation had escalated to an assault.
- Chris De Bruyne, who goes by the moniker Chriscoveries online, a protest journalist covering the scene, was put in a “bear hug” by members of the crowd, as seen in the video.
- Pavlou said New South Wales police are planning to charge him over the incident but claimed that he still does not know what he’s being charged with.
- The NSW Council of Civil Liberties, one of Australia’s top human rights organizations, said using the word “f*ck” in a political statement is not considered offensive.
An Australian activist running for a Senate seat in Queensland triggered chaos when he showed up with a “F*ck Xi Jinping” sign at a shopping strip in Sydney’s northwest on Saturday.
- Twitter’s board of directors has unanimously adopted a limited duration shareholder rights plan in response to Elon Musk’s proposal to buy the company.
- The plan, which essentially is a “poison pill,” will allow shareholders to purchase additional shares for less “if an entity, person or group acquires beneficial ownership of 15% or more of Twitter's outstanding common stock in a transaction not approved by the Board.”
- Musk has made headlines after temporarily becoming Twitter’s largest shareholder with a 9.2% stake and subsequently offering to purchase the company for $43 billion.
- Musk’s refusal to join the board after an earlier invitation reportedly left some employees in panic as critics claimed he was planning a “hostile takeover.”
- Amid various allegations, the Tesla chief maintains that his actions were not motivated by money, but by his belief in free speech.
- Musk has teased a plan B in the event Twitter rejects his buyout proposal.
Twitter’s board of directors has reportedly decided on a limited duration shareholder rights plan following Elon Musk’s proposal to buy the company.
Musk, 50, has made headlines since last week after disclosing a 9.2% stake in the social media giant and becoming its largest shareholder. Shortly after, reports revealed that Vanguard Group had taken over the Tesla chief with a 10.3% stake as of April 8.
- An economic crisis years in the making has caused prices of daily necessities in Sri Lanka to skyrocket.
- At least two people have died while lining up for hours just to buy fuel.
- The turmoil has led to protests that forced President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to declare a state of emergency last Friday and a curfew that lasted for three days.
- To “maintain calm,” the Ministry of Defense then imposed a sweeping social media ban, which was lifted hours later after protests from the opposition.
- The country is now negotiating with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a bailout, but discussions are expected to last until the end of the year.
Sri Lanka has become the latest Asian country to ban social media in an attempt to quell protests against its government, whose alleged incompetence has reportedly led to the worst economic crisis in the country’s history.
The temporary ban, which restricted access to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and WhatsApp, was placed on Sunday under orders from the Ministry of Defense. Jayantha de Silva, chairman of the federal telecom regulatory authority, told Reuters that it was “imposed in the interests of the country and people to maintain calm.”
As outspoken as millennials tend to be, a surprisingly great number of them support more government regulation of free speech, according to new data.
Four in 10 people aged 18-34 said they believed that the government should be able to prevent speech that is offensive to minorities, according to survey data from the Pew Research Center. Only 58% said such speech should not be restricted.