- Kamala Khan’s MCU debut strikes a perfect balance between a superhero origin story and a coming-of-age tale, focusing more heavily on Kamala’s relationships with her friends and family than her newfound powers.
- “Ms. Marvel” provides an intriguing glimpse into Kamala’s life as a South Asian teenage girl grappling with her identity as an underrepresented minority in America — more so than what a typical MCU show might care to explore.
- Kamala struggles to situate her identity as a Pakistani American, torn between the pressures from her overbearing parents and her aspirations to become a hero in a country where, as Kamala puts it, “It’s not really the brown girls from Jersey City who save the world.”
- Visually, “Ms. Marvel” is incredibly stylized and colorful, making use of Kamala’s creative personality to demonstrate her powerful imagination.
- “Ms. Marvel” will be available to stream on Disney Plus starting on June 8.
Kamala Khan’s MCU debut strikes a perfect balance between a superhero origin story and a coming-of-age tale, focusing more heavily on Kamala’s relationships with her friends and family than her newfound powers.
Every member of the Disney Plus miniseries’ cast is natural and believable in their roles. Iman Vellani’s performance as Pakistani American teenager Kamala Khan perfectly encapsulates the image of a geeky, creative young Avengers fan constantly distracted by fantasies of following in the superpowered footsteps of her idol Captain Marvel.
Photo of ‘Ms. Marvel’ star Iman Vellani dressed up as the hero years before landing the role goes viral
- Iman Vellani, who plays the titular character in Disney Plus’ upcoming series “Ms. Marvel,” dressed up as the hero years before landing the role.
- An image of the younger Vellani was spotted in “A Fan’s Guide to Ms. Marvel,” a short behind-the-scenes look at the series, before being shared across Reddit.
- Fans expressed excitement over the way Vellani admired her character before taking on the role.
- “Growing up with little to no representation, I needed that,” Vellani says in the video. “It was basically Marvel Comics saying, ‘Hey, you’re not alone.’”
Iman Vellani of Disney Plus’ “Ms. Marvel” donned the costume of the titular hero long before portraying her on screen in her upcoming acting debut.
The photo of a then-15-year-old Vellani on Halloween was spotted in Disney Plus’ newly released “A Fan’s Guide to Ms. Marvel,” a short behind-the-scenes special for the upcoming series. It was then shared across Reddit, where Marvel fans geeked out that she was also a fan of the character prior to landing the role.
- Marvel has released the official trailer for “Ms. Marvel,” a new series featuring the MCU’s first Muslim superhero.
- The series will be available to stream on Disney Plus starting June 8.
- Nineteen-year-old newcomer Iman Vellani stars as the show’s lead Kamala Khan, a nerdy Pakistani American high school student who suddenly finds herself possessing cosmic powers.
- Viewers may be surprised to see how Kamala’s powers in the trailer differ from the comics.
- The unveiling of the new trailer has spurred excitement on social media, with many online praising the representation of South Asian and Muslim women on screen.
Marvel Studios has released an official trailer for their upcoming series “Ms. Marvel,” which will bring to screens a Muslim superhero for the first time ever.
The new series follows Kamala Khan, a nerdy South Asian American teenager from New Jersey who loves playing video games, writing fan-fiction and most of all, daydreaming of superheroes. Her idol, Captain Marvel, later serves as inspiration for her costume design.