Asian nail salon
- Iris Mejia, owner of Beauty Bar Orlando, has reportedly been receiving death threats since June 13 after a woman with a similar business was filmed hurling anti-Asian abuse at employees of a local seafood restaurant.
- The woman in the video, identified as Elizabeth Knighton, is seen and heard telling manager Kristen Nguyen “You are a Chinese bitch” and “Take your ass back to your country, ching-chong.”
- Knighton reportedly owns Baldwin-based Bodi Beauty Bar, which has since taken down its Google listing.
- Over the weekend, Mejia saw her salon vandalized with “Go back to your cage” and “bitch monkey.”
- Mejia has started a GoFundMe page to help her business and employees recover from losses.
A beauty salon in Orlando has become the target of racist vandalism after being misidentified as a business owned by a woman who was filmed making anti-Asian comments at a local restaurant last week.
Iris Mejia, owner of Beauty Bar Orlando, said she has been receiving death threats since June 13, soon after the incident at King Cajun Crawfish took place and the video in question was posted on social media.
A new study has found that nail salon workers are reportedly exposed to high levels of harmful carcinogenic chemicals.
Published in the journal Environmental Pollution, the study establishes the links of these chemicals’ effect on the health of nail salon workers for the first time, Forbes reports.
It’s a skit that we’ve already seen before: a “comedian” playing the role of an Asian nail shop employee with broken English.
This time, it was the up-and-coming female comic Jasmin Brown gracing her audience with her cringe-worthy portrayal of a Vietnamese nail salon attendant.