Renowned filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki is working on his next movie, as confirmed by his producing partner Toshio Suzuki.
Miyazaki can’t be stopped: Despite the upcoming U.S. release of Studio Ghibli’s “The Boy and the Heron,” Miyazaki is already focused on his next project. Suzuki, who served as Studio Ghibli’s president from 2005-2008, reported that Miyazaki is constantly thinking about his next work, and he no longer tries to dissuade him.
“I can’t stop him, in fact, I’ve given up,” Suzuki told Libération. “I no longer try to dissuade him, even if he were to make a flop film. In life, it’s only the work that delights him.”
No plans to retire again: Suzuki also hinted that Miyazaki has no plans to retire again and believes he will continue working until he is at least 90 years old. He recalled a conversation he had with his fellow Studio Ghibli co-founder where Miyazaki couldn’t remember what his last film was about. Instead, Miyazaki started talking about a new project.
“As long as he’s working, I won’t be able to retire,” Suzuki said. “He’s 82, and I think he’ll go on until he’s 90. And I’m going with him.”
“The Boy and the Heron”: Miyazaki’s latest film “The Boy and the Heron” is set to be released in the U.S. on Dec. 8.
The film follows a young boy named Mahito, who longs for his mother, as he explores a world where the living and the dead coexist. Last month, Studio Ghibli secured its long-term future through an acquisition by Japanese network Nippon TV after no successor for Miyazaki was found.