Tony Hsieh Was Trapped in Storage Unit During Fatal Fire, Died of Smoke Inhalation, Police Say

Tony Hsieh Was Trapped in Storage Unit During Fatal Fire, Died of Smoke Inhalation, Police Say

December 1, 2020
Former Zappos CEO Anthony Hsieh was trapped inside a storage unit during a fire in a Connecticut home and later died as a result of complications due to accidental smoke inhalation, police revealed on Monday.
The New London Police Department confirmed that the 46-year-old entrepreneur was trapped inside a storage unit during a fire inside a house at 500 Pequot Ave., New London, Connecticut on Nov. 18, according to CT Post.
“Individuals at the scene informed emergency personnel that a man, who was later identified as Anthony Hsieh … was locked inside a storage area where smoke was coming out at the rear of the residence, and they were unable to get him out. Emergency personnel breached the storage area door, retrieved the victim, Anthony Hsieh, and (extinguished) the fire,” the police said.
Firefighters were called to the scene at approximately 3:30 a.m. Upon arriving, emergency responders saw “dark smoke emanating from the back of the residential structure.”
Subscribe to
NextShark's Newsletter

A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.

Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.

Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.

A Broadcastify audio recording reveals an exchange between the city’s dispatchers, firefighters and responding police officers, saying the man was inside an outbuilding attached to the main part of the home, “and the male is barricaded … he’s not opening the door. Everyone else is outside the house. They’re trying to get him to open up,” according to The Day.
The emergency team was able to retrieve Hsieh from the house. New London Fire Chief Thomas Curcio told The Day that the emergency personnel performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on Hsieh before he was rushed to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital.
He was later transported to the Connecticut Burn Center at the Bridgeport Hospital via a helicopter.
Hsieh died as a result of complications from accidental smoke inhalation on Nov. 27, according to the office of the chief medical examiner in Connecticut via Insider.
Authorities are still investigating the case.
Feature Image via Getty
      Bryan Ke

      Bryan Ke is a Reporter for NextShark




      Many people might not know this, but NextShark is a small media startup that runs on no outside funding or loans, and with no paywalls or subscription fees, we rely on help from our community and readers like you.

      Everything you see today is built by Asians, for Asians to help amplify our voices globally and support each other. However, we still face many difficulties in our industry because of our commitment to accessible and informational Asian news coverage.

      We hope you consider making a contribution to NextShark so we can continue to provide you quality journalism that informs, educates, and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for supporting NextShark and our community.

      © 2023 NextShark, Inc. All rights reserved.