A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- The restaurant had a mask-wearing policy plastered on several signs.
- Kristine Nguyen, an employee that was reportedly working behind the counter, said she offered the woman a mask before the incident, though the customer said that it was within her rights to remain unmasked.
- The employees were shielded from the woman’s spit by the store’s Plexiglas.
- “You just have to be plainly disrespectful to spit at someone for asking you to follow simple rules,” Nguyen said.
- According to Nguyen, there were two other times that the woman spat at other employees, KRON4 reported.
- “Lately, we’ve been getting a lot more resistance to people who don’t want to wear masks. I think it’s just people feel more comfortable now whether it’s because they’re vaccinated or whatnot,” said Thieu.
- Nguyen noted that she’s “glad” the video was uploaded on TikTok, as “some people need to be held accountable for their actions.”
- According to the San Jose Police Department, the behavior can result in misdemeanor assault charges, although the woman has yet to be identified.