- Fox’s new drama series “The Cleaning Lady” aims to tackle stereotypes about Asian service employees in the U.S.
- The show features Élodie Yung as Thony De La Rosa, a Cambodian doctor who moves to the U.S. seeking treatment for her son, who has a life-threatening medical condition.
- Thony’s character and many others in the show are providing voices to represent Asian immigrant workers in the U.S. and to show that they are more than just the stereotypical assumptions.
Miranda Kwok’s “The Cleaning Lady,” the first primetime drama on Fox to star as well as be created and produced by an Asian woman, is defying the stigmas around marginalized Asian service workers in the U.S.
Based on the Argentinian show, “La Chica Que Limpia,” Fox’s new series “The Cleaning Lady,” which features a predominantly Southeast Asian cast, follows the story of Cambodian doctor Thony De La Rosa (played by Élodie Yung) who moves to the U.S. in hopes of finding better treatment for her critically ill, young son. After witnessing a gruesome event committed by a mob, she is offered a chance to work as their cleaning lady and medical professional in exchange for payment that could help fund her son’s medical treatment.
Élodie Yung plays a Cambodian doctor who scrubs away the mob’s messes in Fox drama ‘The Cleaning Lady’
- “The Cleaning Lady” is Fox’s first primetime drama to be produced by and starring an Asian woman.
- The show follows Thony De La Rosa, played by Élodie Yung, a Cambodian doctor from the Philippines who supports herself in the U.S. by taking cleaning jobs as she seeks treatment for her son’s rare immunodeficiency disorder.
- “It will give the confidence to these kids to say, ‘We have a place in this world; we have a voice,’” Yung said about the show’s diverse casting. “I am really happy, and positive and hopeful that this is going to open doors and empower young generations.”
“The Cleaning Lady,” a new Fox television show based on a series from Argentina, will premiere on Jan. 3. It will be one of the first American broadcast television shows that features a Cambodian main character and a largely Southeast Asian cast.
Reflecting the Asian immigrant experience