A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- In the video, the Warriors’ point guard visited Ah-Sam Florists, an Asian family-owned business that has been in the Bay area since 1933.
- “The pandemic with the lockdown has changed all businesses,” Shawn Leong, co-owner of Ah-Sam Florists, said. “Closing the business allowed us time to think of how to pivot when we reopened.”
- Mayme Leong, who has been in the industry for 50 years, showed Curry how to arrange flowers during his visit, ABC7 reported.
- “He picked up flowers and I taught him how to cut it…I said, well, you play basketball, you better not use a knife because if you cut yourself you won’t play again,” Mayme said.
- “I was surprised, wondering if this is truly happening. Or is it someone playing a hoax on us?” Lori Leong, a family relative, told ABC7. However, the call turned out to be legitimate, and Curry showed up with a camera crew days later.
- Mayme also told the news network she is a Warriors fan, quipping she likes Curry more than Los Angeles Lakers’ LeBron James.