- Curry wore the custom-made shoes in a game earlier last month to show his support for the victims’ families, NextShark previously reported.
- He worked with the Bruce Lee Foundation and unveiled the unique set of Curry 8s on April 4 after feeling “outraged” by the tragedy that took the lives of eight people, six of whom were of Asian descent.
- “After all we have been through this past year, let alone in the history of our country, people still deal with unnecessary tragedy and are afraid for their lives. We have to do better,” he told The Undefeated.
- The winner would also get the shoes autographed for free by the athlete.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- The right shoe depicts Bruce Lee and his family while the left shoe is just Lee himself.
- The shoes also have the phrase, “Under the heavens, there is only family,” from Lee and features colors representative of his Onitsuka Tiger shoes.
- Curry believes Lee’s “narratives and themes” still apply to the present day.
- “Obviously, what Bruce Lee stood for in terms of unifying people, speaking on the collective harmony of everybody from different backgrounds, different races, but especially his Asian heritage,” he said.