- Ly misheard the question and answered, “Taga,” for the brand of bicycle he was using. He told the stranger that he could look for more details online and was going to walk away.
- “It turned when he thinks I was brushing him off,” Ly told NBC Bay Area. “Because when I said ‘Taga,’ he said, ‘is that a Filipino thing?’ I was like ‘no.’”
- The man proceeded to act strangely during the encounter: he got out of his car to record Ly and license plates, asked “What’s your favorite charity?” and repeatedly called him a “pedophile creep,” while cursing in front of his children.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- A neighbor’s Ring surveillance camera caught the man shouting, “F**king pedophile,” before he left.
- Ly thinks that he was targeted because of his race.
- “I feel he did it because I’m Asian. I don’t see anything that would provoke him to get out of the car, call me names and try to make me do something to him,” he said.
- He added, “I think he thinks that I’m Filipino because I can pass for Filipino, but I’m actually Vietnamese.”
- Ly is speaking out now so that it doesn’t happen again, and so his children can grow up safely in his otherwise quiet neighborhood. He wants to bring awareness about his incident to his community, in hopes that someone will recognize the man and report him.
- San Jose police are investigating the matter as vandalism but don’t believe it is a hate crime or racially motivated.