Man Who Brutally Beat Vietnamese Mother, 2nd Elderly Woman in SF Arrested

Man Who Brutally Beat Vietnamese Mother, 2nd Elderly Woman in SF Arrested

October 6, 2020
Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with a statement from the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.
A 34-year-old man has been arrested and is facing multiple felony charges for reportedly attacking two elderly women in San Francisco, including a Vietnamese mother who was out shopping with her son.
Tenderloin Station officers took Michael Turner into custody on Sept. 30 for assaulting a 78-year-old woman on Turk Street on the morning of Sept. 15, according to the San Francisco Police Department.
During the investigation, Tenderloin Police Station’s Investigative Team (SIT) determined Turner was also the man who attacked a 71-year-old woman on Jones Street on Sept. 22.
Turner, who was still in custody, was arrested on Monday. He is facing multiple felony charges, including aggravated assault, battery resulting in serious bodily injury, two counts of elder abuse, a probation violation and for violating a stay-away order.
View post on Twitter
“Turner has a criminal court stay away order from Market and Jones Street for a prior weapons offense,” the SFPD said.
The man is being held without bail. He is expected to appear in court on Tuesday, CBS SF reported.
The Sept. 22 incident was brought to the public’s attention by one of the victim’s son, Than Nguyen, who posted about the assault on social media.
The woman, whose name was not revealed, was beaten by the suspect at around 4-4:15 p.m. that day, NextShark reported. One of her sons tried to chase the suspect, but he was attacked by a group of men.
He returned to the scene where the crime occurred as his mother was being carried into an ambulance. She sustained multiple cuts and deep bruises on her face.
Thanh, who was born and raised in San Francisco along with his brother and has lived in the city for more than 25 years, told NextShark this is the first time he and his family have encountered such an incident.
Thanh’s mother spent three days in the hospital, but he said she would still require medical attention after her release. It is unclear when she will make a full recovery.
“Mom was taken to general hospital. She came home after 3 days,” Than told NextShark. “She still requires PT that will visit her. Not sure when her full recovery estimate is since my sister is handling her medical affairs.”
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency told NextShark in a statement that Muni is working closely with the SFPD on its investigation into the incident.
“The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency is supporting the San Francisco Police Department in their investigation of this horrendous act. Our hearts go out to the victim and her family,” the Muni spokesperson said.
Anyone who may have any information related to the case is asked to contact the SFPD’s tip line at 415-575-444 or text “TIP411” with the word “SFPD” at the start of the message.
Feature Image (left) via Thanh Nguyen, (right) via @SFPDTenderloin
      Bryan Ke

      Bryan Ke
      is a Reporter for NextShark




      © 2023 NextShark, Inc. All rights reserved.