Mat George, the co-host of the “She Rates Dogs” podcast, died after being struck by a vehicle in Los Angeles on July 17.
What happened: George was walking southbound on Croft Avenue around 2:20 a.m. when a white BMW traveling eastbound on Beverly Boulevard hit the comedian, according to the LAPD.
- The driver of the car did not stop, give aid to the victim or identify themselves, which is required by law in California.
- Authorities arrived to give medical attention to George, but he died at the scene.
- Although the police did not identify George in their news release, his co-host Michaela Okland confirmed the fatal accident on Twitter on Sunday.
I would rather you guys here this from me than a news article. Mat was killed in a hit and run last night. I don’t really have any other words right now. I wish I could contact everybody who knows him personally but the news is already out and I just can’t do it right now
— michaela okland (@MichaelaOkla) July 17, 2021
- A $50,000 reward has been set up for anyone who can provide information that would lead to “the offender’s identification, apprehension, and conviction or resolution through a civil compromise,” as per the city council’s Hit and Run Reward Program Trust Fund.
- Anyone with information should contact West Traffic Division detectives at (213) 473-0234 or at 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247) during non-business hours or on weekends. Those who wish to remain anonymous should call LA Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477) or go online at www.lacrimestoppers.org.
The aftermath: Many took to social media to mourn the death of George, who was Indian American and part of the LGBTQ+ community, NBC News reported.
mat george was incomparably funny, incomparably kind, and one of the best people I’ve known. today is incredibly sad, and fucked up, and unfair. we’re going to miss you so much.
— ellie schnitt (@holy_schnitt) July 17, 2021
Mat George was the funniest person I know hands down, funnier than most career comedians. I told him that every time we talked. His career barely got started and I was so excited to watch him succeed. I’m at a loss for words. Rest In Peace.
— abby govindan (@abbygov) July 17, 2021
I always feel guilty grieving a loss that doesn’t belong to me but Mat George’s death feels like when you hear about the death of someone you went to hs with and you didn’t know them well but no one ever had a bad word to say about them and it’s a deep sadness
— maggs (@margebertha) July 18, 2021
very sad and uncomfortable that anyone you love can die suddenly at any time so as corny as it is please remember to make sure your loved ones know you love them because you never know. rip mat george
— abbey 🕊 (@girIoftheyr) July 17, 2021
mat george was so fucking funny and kind. he was one of the most consistent sources of positivity on here. he made this place brighter. love to everyone hurting right now. rest in peace mat
— soul nate (@MNateShyamalan) July 17, 2021
mat george was a beautiful person. I don’t know what else to say.
— sloane (sîpihkopiyesîs) (@cottoncandaddy) July 17, 2021
- He attended Arizona State University and has a bachelor’s degree in biology.
- George was also known for his funny viral tweets.
For 5 dollars I will come st*b your boyfriend to make sure he’s not a cake pic.twitter.com/Jd0A7Vif2D
— Mat George (@matchu_chutrain) July 11, 2020
I’ve been in LA for a year and haven’t seen a single celebrity. My mom comes for a weekend and meets Snoop Dogg pic.twitter.com/PeVGNK7XGu
— Mat George (@matchu_chutrain) July 11, 2021
Featured Image via @matchu_chutrain