Mat George, the co-host of the “She Rates Dogs” podcast, died after being struck by a vehicle in Los Angeles on July 17.
George was walking southbound on Croft Avenue around 2:20 a.m. when a white BMW traveling eastbound on Beverly Boulevard hit the comedian, according to the LAPD
- The driver of the car did not stop, give aid to the victim or identify themselves, which is required by law in California.
- Authorities arrived to give medical attention to George, but he died at the scene.
- Although the police did not identify George in their news release, his co-host Michaela Okland confirmed the fatal accident on Twitter on Sunday.
- A $50,000 reward has been set up for anyone who can provide information that would lead to “the offender’s identification, apprehension, and conviction or resolution through a civil compromise,” as per the city council’s Hit and Run Reward Program Trust Fund.
- Anyone with information should contact West Traffic Division detectives at (213) 473-0234 or at 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247) during non-business hours or on weekends. Those who wish to remain anonymous should call LA Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477) or go online at www.lacrimestoppers.org.
Many took to social media to mourn the death of George, who was Indian American and part of the LGBTQ+ community, NBC News
Who is Mat George:
Originally from Kansas City, Miss., George moved from Arizona to LA during the COVID-19 pandemic, the comedian told Shoutout Arizona
last year, according to the LA Times
- He attended Arizona State University and has a bachelor’s degree in biology.
- George was also known for his funny viral tweets.