Gangnam Station Sydney, a Korean BBQ restaurant in Sydney, Australia, is facing a range of sanctions for dumping two passed-out female patrons on the streets last November after doing 16 shots of spirits in 40 minutes.
In a statement on Monday
, the Department of Liquor and Gaming called the incident “one of the worst breaches of liquor laws in NSW in recent years.”
Three women entered the Korean BBQ restaurant on Sussex Street where they ordered several shots of the strong alcohol beverage Soju at around 7:55 p.m. on Nov. 9, according to a police report.
After downing their eighth shot at around 8:35 p.m., two of the three women collapsed and became unconscious. CCTV footage from inside the bar shows one of the unconscious women on the floor before a man tries to pick her up.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
Staff members then escorted the women outside of the restaurant, according to 9News
. One woman vomited while being carried out on the streets.
Police patrolling the area stopped in front of the restaurant and noticed people gathering around the unconscious women. They called an ambulance and the women were taken to a hospital.
Meanwhile, Australian authorities imposed a “first strike” on Sunhwa Kim, the licensee of Gangnam Station Sydney, which falls under the New South Wales government’s Three Strikes disciplinary program.
Those who reach the third strike will receive a permanent ban from the industry, and may also have their licenses suspended, BuzzFeed
Police fined the restaurant $2,200 Australian dollars ($1,640) for permitting intoxication, but the Department of Liquor and Gaming is looking to take further action
by pushing its closing time from 2 a.m. to midnight.
“It’s hard to imagine a worse case of a venue failing in its obligations to prevent misuse and abuse of alcohol,” Director of Compliance Operations Sean Goodchild said.
Goodchild added that the restaurant showed disregard for the health and safety of its patrons and responsible service of alcohol requirements.