A senior South Korean man died after eating an octopus that was chopped alive.
What happened: The man, 82, choked while eating the delicacy — known as san-nakji — in the city of Guangju on Monday, according to a local fire station. He then suffered a cardiac arrest and was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
About the dish: San-nakji, which literally translates to “live octopus,” is a Korean dish consisting of chopped but still wriggling long arm octopus tentacles topped with some sesame oil and seeds. Considered a stamina booster, it is reportedly popular not only among locals, but foreigners who dare to try it and share their experience online.
The big picture: Monday’s death follows a series of fatalities linked to the dish in recent years. The previous incident occurred in August 2019 and involved another senior — a 71-year-old man — who also choked as the squirming tentacles blocked his airway.
Many people might not know this, but NextShark is a small media startup that runs on no outside funding or loans, and with no paywalls or subscription fees, we rely on help from our community and readers like you.
Everything you see today is built by Asians, for Asians to help amplify our voices globally and support each other. However, we still face many difficulties in our industry because of our commitment to accessible and informational Asian news coverage.
We hope you consider making a contribution to NextShark so we can continue to provide you quality journalism that informs, educates, and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for supporting NextShark and our community.