California celebrated its first-ever Kimchi Day on Monday with a festival.
Great gut health: Led by Assemblymember Steven Choi, the Golden State passed a resolution on Aug. 23 to designate Nov. 22 as Kimchi Day to honor its growing Korean population, according to Korea.net.
- Choi said the Koreans living in California amounted to 32% of the total number of Koreans in the U.S.
- The numerical version of the date signifies the 11 main ingredients included in the probiotic-filled side dish and the 22 health benefits it gives, according to ABC 7.
- The date coincides with the exact one used in South Korea.
- “Kimchi is symbolic of Korea,” Dr. Park Chae-lin, Chief Researcher of the World Institute of Kimchi in Gwangju, told BBC. “One can see it on every meal table throughout the day.”
- The fermented dish is so rooted within the community that in 2013, UNESCO added gimjang, the act of kimchi-making specifically in the winter months, to its Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity list.
- The Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Los Angeles and the Korean Good Global Association hosted and livestreamed a kimchi festival to celebrate the occasion.
View this post on Instagram
Featured Image via Getty
Support our Journalism with a Contribution
Many people might not know this, but despite our large and loyal following which we are immensely grateful for, NextShark is still a small bootstrapped startup that runs on no outside funding or loans.
Everything you see today is built on the backs of warriors who have sacrificed opportunities to help give Asians all over the world a bigger voice.
However, we still face many trials and tribulations in our industry, from figuring out the most sustainable business model for independent media companies to facing the current COVID-19 pandemic decimating advertising revenues across the board.
We hope you consider making a contribution so we can continue to provide you with quality content that informs, educates and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for everyone's support. We love you all and can't appreciate you guys enough.