Asian America Daily - in under 5 minutes What's happening in Asian America? Get a daily email to stay informed, educated, and entertained.
The mother of British 15-year-old Jenny Fry claims that her daughter’s Wi-Fi allergy caused her so much distress that it led to her unfortunate suicide.
“Wi-Fi and children do not mix. I believe that Wi-Fi killed my daughter,” she told the Daily Mail.
Fry’s parents claim she suffered from electro-hypersensitivity (EHS) which caused her to suffer from fatigue, headaches and bladder problems. Their health claims were never verified by a medical professional.
Fry’s mother claims that her daughter started showing symptoms in November 2012. After some research, the family decided to remove Wi-Fi connectivity from their home, but Fry was still exposed to it at her school in Oxfordshire, the U.K.
“Jenny was getting ill and so was I. I did some research and found how dangerous Wi-Fi could be so I had it taken out of the house. Both Jenny and I were fine at home but Jenny continued to be ill at school in certain areas.”
To get away from the Wi-Fi at school, she would sit as far as possible from the router or even remove herself to work in an empty classroom. Her mother explained:
“As soon as Jenny walked away from a router she felt instantly better so she was almost hunting out areas of the school which weren’t covered by Wi-Fi just to do her work. When she moved seats the teachers wouldn’t listen to her reasons and instead give her detentions.
“She was receiving lots of detentions, not for being disruptive in class or misbehaving, but often because she used to take herself out of the classroom to find another where she was able to work. She took her schoolwork seriously.”
Fry was found dead in a forest near her home on June 11. Earlier that day, she had texted a friend saying she would not be going to school that day and that she intended to die. Unfortunately, her friend did not have her phone on her and Fry hung herself from a tree.
“I think she was frustrated with school. She would not see a doctor but was seeing a counsellor at school who was helping her.
“She had not made any suggestions she was thinking of suicide and I believe it was a cry for help.”
Fry’s parents are now campaigning to remove Wi-Fi from nurseries and schools and urging the government to sponsor EHS research.
“I remember saying to the school ‘if someone had a peanut allergy you wouldn’t make them work surrounded by peanuts.’
“Just because Wi-Fi is new and all around us doesn’t mean it is safe.”
In September, a French woman claimed she suffered from EHS and claimed a disability grant for it. The woman subsequently moved to a remote farm in the French mountains.
The World Health Organization claims that people who suffer from EHS may experience headaches, palpitations, fatigue, nausea and nosebleeds when exposed to electromagnetic radiation.