- Sandhu has won several other titles in the past few years, such as Times Fresh Face Miss Chandigarh in 2017, Miss Max Emerging Star India in 2018 and Femina Miss India Punjab in 2019.
- She has also acted in several Punjabi-language films, including “Yaara Diyan Poo Baran” and “Bai Ji Kuttange.”
- Sandhu names actress Priyanka Chopra as one of her main inspirations.
- Sandhu’s mother is a gynecologist and women’s rights activist in India. The mother and daughter duo work together at pop-up health clinics to educate Indian women about reproductive and menstrual health issues, topics often considered taboo in rural India.
- Sandhu and her mother also hosted a miniseries on Instagram titled “Hear It From Maa,” where the pair discussed topics such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), menstrual hygiene and breast cancer.
- The Miss Universe winner is also an ambassador for Smile Train India, a nongovernmental organization which provides free cleft lip surgeries for impoverished children.
- During the Miss Universe pageant, Sandhu also took the opportunity to discuss climate change. “This is the time to take action and talk less because every action of ours can either kill or save nature,” she declared.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- Before Sandhu made her historic win this year, Sushmita Sen was crowned as Miss Universe in 1994, and Lara Dutta won the same title in 2000. Both women went on to become A-list Bollywood celebrities.
- India is tied with Mexico and South Africa for fifth place on the list of most Miss Universe wins, with each nation having three Miss Universe wins. The South Asian country shares first place with Venezuela for Miss World, with six winners including actors Priyanka Chopra and Aishwarya Rai.