- SF police described the incident in a statement, according to FOX, saying, “The victim told officers that he was walking his dog when he was approached by an unknown male suspect. The suspect held a lighter close to the victim’s dog. The victim asked the suspect what he was doing, and the suspect became verbally confrontational. The victim attempted to walk away but the suspect followed him. The suspect spit on the victim and punched him in the face.”
- The assailant fled the scene and the elderly man was rushed to a local hospital.
- ABC 7’s Dion Lim was the first to report that the suspect attempted to set Cody the dog on fire.
- “Something very touching was seeing a young woman stop by with flowers after she heard the news,” Lim tweeted. “The owner is okay— but was taken to the hospital & had his eye wound glued. The perp allegedly called the owner the ‘N’ word before punching him.”
- A neighbor also reportedly rushed out with “a baseball bat” to help the owner during the attack.
- No arrests have been made at this time, according to police.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.