As a man in the Detroit area was filling up his car with gas at a Center Line gas station, he noticed a spider next to his back right tire. Without carefully thinking through the situation, the man pulled out a lighter and tried to burn the spider. However, as he burned the spider his fuel tank caught on fire and quickly spread to the surrounding pump, according to Fox Detroit.
The man hesitated at first, but eventually moved his car out of the flames and used an extinguisher to put out the fire.
Luckily for the man, the only damage was isolated to one pump and not his car or the rest of the station.
The man later reported that he didn’t mean to cause the explosion but that he was deathly afraid of spiders.
Station employee Susan Adams, who hit the gas automatic stop button when the fire started, explained:
“He was sorry. He was sorry, he said he didn’t know. It is just one of those things that happen – stupidity.”