- The victim, who lived in Livermore, was pushing a cart containing recyclables and some personal items when a car hit him from behind.
- Surveillance video showed that the driver did not check on the victim’s condition before fleeing.
- Fremont police are appealing to the public for help in finding the suspect’s dark-colored sedan, which may have damaged its front bumper, hood or windshield area from the crash.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- “What kind of person just does that…that’s my question, what if it was their dad?” Howard asked.
- According to Howard, his father, a former handyman and mechanic, may have been collecting cans for money when he was killed.
- “He was hardworking,” he said. “I mean even when he didn’t have a job, he would still try to find ways to make money and help out. I just know he was doing his best.”
- The San Diego resident, who is now taking a gap year during college to work, shared he is now dealing with financial issues in addition to the loss of his father.
- Howard is raising money on GoFundMe to help with the cost of his father’s funeral and pay for the medical bills of his mother, who suffered a stroke at the beginning of the pandemic.