Brunei has entered a national mourning period following the death of 38-year-old Prince Haji “Abdul” Azim.
What happened: Prince Azim died on Saturday morning in Brunei’s capital of Bandar Seri Begawan, the palace announced on public radio, according to NBC News.
- Although details of his death remain unclear, local media reported that the prince had liver cancer.
- Following the announcement, the nation has entered a seven-day mourning period where residents are required to display the national flag at half-mast starting Saturday, according to the official statement from the palace via Borneo Bulletin.
- In addition to the flag, all entertainment and celebrations are not allowed as the nation mourns, Must Share News reported.
- Prince Azim was laid to rest at the Royal Mausoleum that same day.
Who is Prince Azim: Born on July 29, 1982, Prince Azim was the second-born son of Brunei’s Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and the fourth in line to the throne.
- Prince Azim was involved in many charitable causes, some of which were for the arts, youth and welfare and persons with disabilities.
- He also had a career in Hollywood as a film producer who owned the London-based production company, Daryl Prince Productions.
- The 2014 movie “You’re Not You” and the 2018 film “The Happy Prince” were credited under his name, Azim Bolkiah. Prince Azim and Daryl Prince Productions are also attached to another project about the fashion designers Isabella Blow and Alexander McQueen.
- Prince Azim made friends with many international A-list celebrities, including American singers Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson and her late brother, Michael Jackson, as well as English model Naomi Campbell.
Rest in peace Prince Azim. He was so kind and generous and always went out of his way to see me. He was hilarious and made me laugh so much. A beautiful soul has been lost and gone way too soon. I respected him. He had to deal with a lot. 💐🌈💔 #ripprinceazim of #Brunei pic.twitter.com/pKisxkymib
— Daniel Lismore (@daniellismore) October 24, 2020
Featured Image via Getty