NextSharkNextShark.com
Latest Newsletter🍵 AAPIs want justice for Tyre NicholsRead

Article

Alexander Wang Says He’ll ‘Do Better’ After Meeting With Sexual Assault Accusers

alexander wang

    Asian America Daily - in under 5 minutes

    Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories, to your inbox daily, for free!

    Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive

    Taiwanese American fashion designer Alexander Wang has reportedly addressed the sexual assault allegations against him after speaking out for the first time since January.

    On Monday, the 37-year-old designer settled the allegations, saying he “will do better” despite denying the claims made against him last year, according to The Cut.

     

    View this post on Instagram

     

    A post shared by Alex Wang (@alexwangny)

    “A number of individuals have come forward recently to raise claims against me regarding my past personal behavior,” Wang wrote in a recent Instagram post. “I support their right to come forward, and I’ve listened carefully to what they had to say. It was not easy for them to share their stories, and I regret acting in a way that caused them pain. While we disagree on some of the details of these personal interactions, I will set a better example and use my visibility and influence to encourage others to recognize harmful behaviors. Life is about learning and growth, and now that I know better, I will do better.”

    In a tweet following Wang’s statement, civil rights lawyer Lisa Bloom claimed that her clients met Wang and his team to discuss the issue, Grazia Magazine reports.

    “We have met with Alexander Wang and his team,” Bloom said. “My clients had the opportunity to speak their truth to him and expressed their pain and hurt. We acknowledge Mr. Wang’s apology and we are moving forward. We have no further comment on this matter.”

    Model Owen Mooney came forward in December to accuse Wang of groping him at a club in 2017. Soon after that, several anonymous alleged victims also took to social media to share their own experiences with the fashion designer.

    The allegations made against Wang range from groping to forced oral sex. However, his team denied all of these claims in a statement, declaring that Wang had never “engaged in the atrocious behavior described and would never conduct [himself] in the manner that’s been alleged.”

     

    View this post on Instagram

     

    A post shared by Diet Prada ™ (@diet_prada)

    “I intend to get to the bottom of this and hold accountable whoever is responsible for originating these claims and viciously spreading them online,” Wang declared.

    Feature Image via Getty

    Support our Journalism with a Contribution

    Many people might not know this, but despite our large and loyal following which we are immensely grateful for, NextShark is still a small bootstrapped startup that runs on no outside funding or loans.

    Everything you see today is built on the backs of warriors who have sacrificed opportunities to help give Asians all over the world a bigger voice.

    However, we still face many trials and tribulations in our industry, from figuring out the most sustainable business model for independent media companies to facing the current COVID-19 pandemic decimating advertising revenues across the board.

    We hope you consider making a contribution so we can continue to provide you with quality content that informs, educates and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way.  Thank you for everyone's support. We love you all and can't appreciate you guys enough.

    Support NextShark

    Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Discover, Paypal