A woman in Shanghai, China screamed in terror as her smartphone exploded just a few inches away from her face.
The incident, which was caught on video, occurred on Wednesday morning while the woman drove along a motorway.
As seen in the video, the phone, located on the dashboard, exploded before bursting into flames seconds later.
The terrified driver had to make a stop.
Jiang, the woman’s husband, claimed that the device was an iPhone 6, according to Sina News.
He said that they took it to a local repair shop called Ji Hou Hou in February, where it was replaced with an unofficial battery.
Ji Hou Hou, also known as Ho Ho Fast, is not included in the list of Apple-authorized shops in Shanghai.
The company claims to have 64 technicians capable of repairing iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks.
Replacing an iPhone 6 battery costs 99 yuan (about $15).
While his wife was not injured, she was “so frightened” after the incident, Jiang told Pear Video.
He added that Ji Hou Hou — which took the phone for “further repairs” — confirmed that the reason for the explosion was the battery.
The shop has since returned the phone, but they are now too scared to use it.
The couple eventually demanded for an entire iPhone replacement but Ji Hou Hou declined.
The issue has been brought to the Shanghai Consumers Association for settlement.
Images: Screenshots via Pear Video
NextShark is a leading source covering Asian American News and Asian News including business, culture, entertainment, politics, tech and lifestyle.
For advertising and inquiries: email@example.com
SIGN UP FOR NextUp!
Wake up daily to the latest news in the Asian Community!
Your IP address 126.96.36.199 has been flagged for potential security violations. You can unlock your login by sending yourself a special link via email. Learn More