Woman Sets Boyfriend’s Bed on Fire, Gets Trapped Inside Burning Apartment

A Chinese woman’s life now hangs in the balance after inhaling too much smoke from the fire she herself started to burn her boyfriend’s bed. The girlfriend, identified only by her surname Xie, became trapped inside the burning apartment and had to be rescued by firefighters, Straits Times reported.

Billows of smoke emanated from a flat on the 30th floor in Taizhou in Jiangsu Province, where Xie was found screaming for help when the rescuers arrived on the scene at around 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday, December 20.

The door, however, was damaged and could not be opened. The woman, reportedly in her 30s, had gone silent by then and the firefighters had to improvise. After breaking down the anti-theft door, the rescuers used a water jet to turn the temperature down. Found to be unconscious, Xie was immediately rushed to the nearest hospital.

Reports indicated that the woman had set fire to her boyfriend’s bed following an argument. When she was unable to douse the flame, she reportedly called a friend for help. A locksmith was brought in to break open the door, but it ended up being damaged.

As of press time, Xie is still recovering in the hospital’s intensive care unit.

NextShark is a leading source covering Asian American News and Asian News including business, culture, entertainment, politics, tech and lifestyle.

For advertising and inquiries: [email protected]