NYPD, Scuba Divers, K-9 Continue Search for Missing 80-Year-Old Man Last Seen in SI Park
By Bryan Ke
June 4, 2021
The NYPD deployed personnel from its scuba team and the Emergency Service Unit K-9 Division as the search continues for the 80-year-old man in Willowbrook Park in Staten Island, New York.
The details: Je Park appeared to “vanish without a trace” while visiting the park with his daughter, Jean, and 6-year-old granddaughter on May 27, Staten Island Live reported.
- The man was last seen around Eton Place at approximately 6 p.m. According to Park’s grandniece, identified only as Alice MJ, witnesses saw him head north from baseball field number 5 but the path he took is unclear.
- Park wearing a white T-shirt, gray pants and a black hat. He is described as Asian with fair skin and brown eyes, who stands at 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs about 170 pounds. He wears glasses and walks with a cane.
- Jean Park first alerted the city Parks Police, who canvassed the area but did not find her father.
- They later alerted the NYPD, who sent a drone, scuba divers, officers on horseback, K-9 dogs and helicopters for the extensive search beginning last week. Authorities searched the pond near the restroom where Park was last seen by the family.
What happened: Jean Park told SILive that she dropped her father off in front of a bathroom shortly before 6 p.m. She then asked him to meet them at a playground, located only a few steps away, once he was done.
- The daughter said she became nervous when he did not show up after 20 minutes had gone by. She immediately went to the bathroom to check on him, but he was not inside.
- It was reported that K-9 dogs were able to trace Park’s scent to a nearby bus stop on Victory Boulevard near Morani Street, but Alice confirmed with NextShark that his scent was traced to baseball field number 5.
- Sources familiar with the search said Park worked in Manhattan before his retirement, and he is in good medical condition.
- Park’s grandson Max explained in a TikTok video that his grandfather was showing signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s, but it was not severe enough to be diagnosed.
- Alice further explained that her aunt, who lives with Park, recalled “an incident from the Monday before his disappearance when he also got lost not too far from home and ended up wandering further away.”
- The aunt called for help and police eventually found Park about 2 miles away from home, according to Alice.
The NYPD is asking anyone with information to contact (718) 697-8712.
Featured Image via @NYPDSpecialops
Share this Article
Share this Article