A 4-year-old girl died after choking on food at a Costco in Washington state on Sunday.
What happened: According to authorities, the girl was believed to be eating a hotdog at a Costco branch in Kennewick when she began choking. The responding emergency medical service (EMS) personnel at the scene were from the Kennewick Fire Department, Ben Shearer from the Pasco Fire Department said.
Bystanders immediately came to the girl’s aid by performing CPR on her, with reports noting that an automated external defibrillator was also used to try and save her.
No need for an autopsy: The EMS personnel reportedly managed to remove the hotdog from the girl’s throat, and she was subsequently taken to a hospital. She was later pronounced dead due to asphyxia.
Since the incident was witnessed by bystanders at the scene and EMS was involved, Benton County Coroner William Leach told Fox News that an autopsy is not necessary.
What happened next: The Costco branch reportedly closed its Kennewick store following the incident and reopened on Monday.