- Rita is already known by her colleagues for her kindness and work ethic.
- Customer Rina Liou witnessed these qualities firsthand when she visited the store a couple of weeks ago.
- Rina was in a rush to buy some light bulbs, but when she was about to pay, she realized that she left her phone and wallet.
- Seeing the customer in distress, Rita did not hesitate to offer to pay for Rina’s items.
- “I said, I will go ahead and pay for it, for you,” Rita was quoted as saying. “I just was a little short on funds.”
- With just $20 in her account, Rita swiped her debit card to cover $12.41 and then “prayed her finances would all work out.”
- Incredibly touched by the kind gesture, Rina later returned to Walgreens that evening to pay Rita back and added a little extra to express her appreciation.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- According to user Meg, “Rita is the happiest, best employee that Walgreens has to offer in normal circumstances.”
- Another user named Renee chimed in with: “Rita is the best!! She is such a lovely person and always remembers me by name and always asks how my mom is doing.”
- Meanwhile, user Leslie shared why everybody liked her: “She is amazing and puts a smile on my face each time I go into Walgreens. She has watched our kids grow up over the past 20+ years. She asks about them every time.”
- Following the exchange, the group of neighbors decided to create a GoFundMe page for Rita to express their love and gratitude for her.
- The crowdfunding campaign originally had a goal of $5,000, but it has since reached the $8,000 and $10 000 milestones.
- As of this writing, the effort has so far raised over $11,000 out of its $12,000 goal.