Asian and Asian American artists, such as K-pop group BTS and singer Olivia Rodrigo, received several awards and nominations at the 2021 MTV Video Music Awards.
About the event: The awards show, hosted by Doja Cat, took place on Sep. 12 at New York City’s Barclays Center, Hypebae reported.
- The star-studded event had performances by artists such as Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendes, Kacey Musgraves, Ozuna, Twenty One Pilots, Lil Nas X and Olivia Rodrigo.
- The awards show, which claims to celebrate “the best music videos of the year,” was first held in 1984 at New York City’s Radio City Music Hall.
The winners: Lil Nas X’s “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)” won the ceremony’s top prize of the night — Video of the Year — but several other artists also took home awards.
- Rodrigo was nominated for Artist of the Year and Best Pop. She won Best New Artist and Best Push Performance, and her viral hit “Drivers License” won Song of the Year.
- BTS’ “Dynamite” was nominated for Song of the Year, while “Butter” was nominated for Best Pop. “Butter” — which was edited by Yong Seok Choi from Lumpens and choreographed by Son Sung Deuk with BHM Performance Directing Team — won Best K-pop, Best Editing and Best Choreography. BTS also won Group of the Year.
- Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak — also known as Silk Sonic — were nominated for Group of the Year. “Leave The Door Open,” which was edited by Troy Charbonnet, was nominated for Song of the Year and won Best R&B and Best Editing.
- Filipina TikToker Bella Poarch’s “Build a B*tch” was nominated for Best Breakthrough Song and Best Visual Effects.
- “Come Through” by R&B artist H.E.R. and Chris Brown was nominated for Best R&B, while H.E.R.’s “Fight for You” was nominated for Video for Good.
- Rapper Saweetie was nominated for Best New Artist, and Art Haynes, who was behind her music video “Best Friend” with Doja Cat, won Best Art Direction.
- BLACKPINK was nominated for Group of the Year, and “Ice Cream,” their collaboration with Selena Gomez, was nominated for Best K-pop.
- Other K-pop artists and groups such as (G)I-DLE, Monsta X and SEVENTEEN were nominated for awards.
Reactions: Many fans took to Twitter to express their pride over their favorite artist.
— BLIИK VOTING CREW ⚔️ (@BlinkVotingCrew) September 12, 2021
— sharnila 🌿 LETS HEAL WITH BTS IN THE SOOP 2 (@SharnilaS) September 13, 2021
— aika⁷ • yana day ! (@SUGASCOOKY) September 13, 2021
— bry (@philinares) September 13, 2021
olivia rodrigo. 18 years old. she won the most number of VMAs this year and she JUST debuted 8 months ago. pic.twitter.com/ulyA8zWLrA
— 💭cher is proud of liv (@good4pov) September 13, 2021
— joseph (@helIobritney) September 12, 2021