Vietnamese Man Needs Staples in Head After Gunmen Beat Him, Steal Truck in New Orleans
By Khier Casino
November 13, 2020
Editor’s Note: This article has been updated to include a GoFundMe created by Anh Duy Nguyen to help their father buy new equipment that was lost during the robbery.
A 57-year-old Vietnamese man was parking his truck in his driveway when three armed and masked suspects beat him and stole his vehicle at gunpoint on Wednesday in the Michoud area of New Orleans.
The crime: The armed robbery happened at around 4 p.m. in the 13000 block of Willowbrook Drive, according to the New Orleans Police Department.
- The masked suspects pointed guns at the victim, identified as Hung Nguyen, and demanded the keys to his Ford F-150.
- “I was testing something for my car. I saw three guys walking. They saw me behind my car. They walked back, turned around and pulled out the guns. They said, ‘give me the keys, give me the keys,'” he told WDSU.
- Nguyen refused and he was hit repeatedly with the handguns and forced to give up his keys.
- Surveillance footage shows the suspects approaching Nguyen as he looks in the back of his truck. That’s when the three men pull out guns as they all go off-camera.
- The suspects hop inside the vehicle, and as Nguyen attempts to open the back door, a gun is pointed right at him. The culprits then drive off with the truck.
- Nguyen sustained multiple contusions and reportedly had to get staples for a laceration to his head.
Not the first incident: Nguyen told WDSU that this isn’t the first time his truck had been stolen. The first incident occurred while he was working, also in Michoud.
- The community on Willowbrook Drive also allegedly experienced vehicles being stolen and their homes invaded over the past few months.
- Nguyen’s truck has since been retrieved by NOPD officers on Chef Menteur Highway.
- But the tools that he had in the back of the truck are nowhere to be found.
- No arrests have been made as of this writing.
- Anyone with information on this incident should contact NOPD Seventh District detectives at 504-658-6070 or call anonymously to Crimestoppers of Greater New Orleans at 504-822-1111 or toll-free 1-877-903-STOP.
- A GoFundMe has been created by one of Nguyen’s children, which has nearly reached it’s $5,000 goal to help him purchase new tools so he can continue his job as an electrician.
- NextShark has reached out to the NOPD for further comment.
Share this Article
Share this Article