Twice’s Jeongyeon has been the subject of online ridicule for her recent weight gain, but fans are pushing back in her defense.
Back from hiatus: On Oct. 15, Twice’s agency, JYP Entertainment, uploaded footage from the group’s “The Feels” music video shoot on YouTube, which included the 24-year-old star joining in on the fun behind the scenes.
- In October last year, the company announced that Jeongyeon was taking a break from the group’s activities due to anxiety.
- Jeongyeon’s return in January, marked with a performance with the rest of Twice at the Seoul Music Awards, caught the attention of viewers who noticed her weight gain then.
- Twice fans, called ONCEs, were quick to point out that she gained weight due to her previous injuries and anxiety disorder medications.
• During More & More, she got herniated disc in her neck. But despite of that, she still performed. She can be seen wearing neck brace during their music show arrival, in their waiting room, and even during rehearsals. pic.twitter.com/QNwBEgol12
— JEONGYEON STATS (@jeongyeonstats) October 17, 2021
- Reports have circulated that Jeongyeon might be suffering from herniated discs after sustaining an injury while practicing Twice’s song “More & More.”
- In her June 2021 appearance while promoting “Alcohol-Free,” Jeongyeon revealed that she had lost 8kg (17.6lbs) for the fans, but her rapid weight change caused many to worry about her losing weight too quickly.
- In August, JYP Entertainment announced that the singer would be taking her second break from the group’s activities due to anxiety.
Attacks resume: Screenshots from the recent music video shoot, which showed the 24-year-old star in an off-the-shoulder dress, have been sparking conversations about fat-shaming on South Korean social media.
No it’s really Jeongyeon. pic.twitter.com/EpFpXdJeJx
— 🎀💚 jeong~ (@qwzxyjy) October 15, 2021
- As posts on platforms such as Nate poked fun at Jeongyeon’s image, many stood their ground in defending their idol.
- Many of her fans were delighted to see her enjoying the shoot and dancing along with her group members in the video.
- “Everyone is getting shy to dance..and there’s Jeongyeon just enjoying herself,” one YouTube commenter wrote.
- Fans are also rooting for Jeongyeon’s return to the spotlight despite ongoing bouts with anxiety, but some expressed that she should take care of herself first.
- “Jeongyeon is always so funny and witty, I miss her too much, I hope she really recovers soon and feels comfortable appearing in front of the cameras. Get well soon, ONCE awaits you patiently,” another chimed in.
Featured Image via TWICE