Twice’s Jeongyeon has been the subject of online ridicule for her recent weight gain, but fans are pushing back in her defense.
Back from hiatus: On Oct. 15, Twice’s agency, JYP Entertainment, uploaded footage from the group’s “The Feels” music video shoot on YouTube, which included the 24-year-old star joining in on the fun behind the scenes.
- In October last year, the company announced that Jeongyeon was taking a break from the group’s activities due to anxiety.
- Jeongyeon’s return in January, marked with a performance with the rest of Twice at the Seoul Music Awards, caught the attention of viewers who noticed her weight gain then.
- Twice fans, called ONCEs, were quick to point out that she gained weight due to her previous injuries and anxiety disorder medications.
- Reports have circulated that Jeongyeon might be suffering from herniated discs after sustaining an injury while practicing Twice’s song “More & More.”
- In her June 2021 appearance while promoting “Alcohol-Free,” Jeongyeon revealed that she had lost 8kg (17.6lbs) for the fans, but her rapid weight change caused many to worry about her losing weight too quickly.
- In August, JYP Entertainment announced that the singer would be taking her second break from the group’s activities due to anxiety.
Attacks resume: Screenshots from the recent music video shoot, which showed the 24-year-old star in an off-the-shoulder dress, have been sparking conversations about fat-shaming on South Korean social media.
- Many of her fans were delighted to see her enjoying the shoot and dancing along with her group members in the video.
- “Everyone is getting shy to dance..and there’s Jeongyeon just enjoying herself,” one YouTube commenter wrote.
- Fans are also rooting for Jeongyeon’s return to the spotlight despite ongoing bouts with anxiety, but some expressed that she should take care of herself first.
- “Jeongyeon is always so funny and witty, I miss her too much, I hope she really recovers soon and feels comfortable appearing in front of the cameras. Get well soon, ONCE awaits you patiently,” another chimed in.