Pixar has dropped a teaser trailer for Domee Shi’s
What you need to know: Set for release on March 11, 2022, “Turning Red” is also Pixar’s first feature film directed by a woman of color, according to The Wrap.
- Shi, who is Chinese Canadian, rose to prominence after “Bao” won the Academy Award for best animated short film in 2019.
- “Turning Red” follows 13-year-old Mei Lee (played by Rosalie Chiang), who transforms into a giant red panda whenever she gets too excited.
- It’s yet to be seen whether the film would follow Pixar’s last feature, “Luca,” and launch directly on Disney Plus, CNET noted.
Inspired by her own upbringing: Like “Bao,” the upcoming film was inspired by Shi’s relationship with her mother, according to The San Francisco Chronicle’s Datebook.
- “I’m an only child with Chinese parents, so I was very protected,” the director told The Chronicle in 2018.
- Mei Lee’s transformation is seen in the newly-released trailer as her overprotective mother, Ming (played by Sandra Oh), breaks into the school grounds during her math class and becomes a source for embarrassment.
- The trailer is accompanied by Backstreet Boys’ 1999 hit “Larger Than Life.”