Pixar is showcasing its first Sikh character in “Turning Red,” an upcoming feature film by Oscar-winning director Domee Shi.
A historic movie: Set for release on March 11, 2022, “Turning Red” will mark a few firsts for Pixar, which dropped the movie’s first teaser trailer last week.
- The studio’s first Sikh character is a school security guard, who appears in the trailer wearing a uniform and a navy-colored turban. He is also seen donning a “kada” (or “kara”), a religious bangle that symbolizes infinity, strength and humility.
- “Turning Red” is the studio’s first feature film directed by a woman of color. Shi, who won the Academy Award for best animated short film for “Bao” in 2019, is Chinese Canadian.
- The new movie is also Shi’s first-ever feature film. She has, however, contributed to other Pixar creations, including “Inside Out,” “Incredibles 2” and “Toy Story 4.”
Reactions: Sikh community members and social media users are lauding Pixar for its attention to representation and cultural diversity.
- The New York City-based Sikh Coalition, a national organization, acknowledged the news using the hashtag #RepresentationMatters.
- BuzzFeed writer Simrin Singh wrote: “Growing up, I never could have imagined seeing an observant Sikh in a Pixar movie. It’s so exciting to think of all the little Sikh kids who get to see this Sardar on screen and feel included. More of this, please!”
- Others shared the same sentiment. “First time I’ve seen Sikhs being represented in a Pixar movie and I can’t tell you how happy I am right now,” one user wrote.
Check out more reactions below:
Pixar has a Sikh character in its new feature film “Turning Red”. Look how much detail they’ve put into him, he even has his own “Kara”. Beautiful! He’s a guard of the school. 😍#TurningRed#Pixar#DisneyPlus pic.twitter.com/mw325ewsiI
— Arwee 🐬 (@winjeetsandhu) July 13, 2021
I’m not sure how much better this can get…
✅ Visibly Sikh character with a turban and kara
✅ Character with type 1 diabetes – visible monitor on their arm
✅ Set in Toronto?!? 🇨🇦🍁❤️
✅ Backstreet Boys song in the trailer?!? 😍#RepresentationMatters #TurningRed @Pixar https://t.co/R2aOH8N8V8
— Ish Narotra (@IshNarotra) July 14, 2021
Much respect to Pixar for introducing a Sikh character, can’t wait!!! At least Hollywood 🙌🏼 knows how to treat Sikh’s loyalty unlike Bollywood does 👎🏼. Just look at the details. The Sikh character even has a Kada in his right hand that’s how much detail Hollywood goes into. 👏🏼 https://t.co/GYPtFqqsJW pic.twitter.com/4JnUf7jlc1
— Roop Chatha (@roop501) July 14, 2021
Is that….a Sikh man represented in w Pixar movie????
— Magister Maya 🐍⚔️ #ACSISTERHOOD (@kulpreetvirdi) July 13, 2021
OMGGG A SIKH IN A PIXAR MOVIEEE!! I don’t even care what the movie is about, who’s going with me to see him https://t.co/HrQwUhu1ZF
— Manpreet Singh ☬ (@smanpreet246) July 13, 2021
Featured Image via Pixar