A California man who tried to open a wine bottle using a popular YouTube hack is discouraging similar attempts after his epic fail.
Lawrence Guo, who hails from San Leandro, was hanging out with a friend on February 27 when he tried to open a bottle of Stella Rosa Pink and the corkscrew broke.
He then thought of other ways to open the bottle and recalled a YouTube video that showed a “hack” using a blowtorch.
The hack — which happens to be quite popular — supposedly works by burning the neck of the bottle with the blowtorch.
Convinced that it’s just about heat, Guo put a spin on the hack using a lighter. The flame, however, wasn’t strong enough to open the bottle.
With no other source of flame, Guo decided to use a stove and put it in low-medium heat.
Unfortunately, the result was a disaster — the bottle exploded right in front of the camera!
“YOUTUBE U LIED!!! I almost died,” Guo shared the video of his attempt on Twitter.
Thankfully, Guo and his friend did not sustain serious injuries.
Guo told BuzzFeed News:
“I expected the cork to come out of the neck of the bottle before the glass exploded. I assumed it may have been from thermal shock and glass molecules expanded at a high rate due to the heat, or from the vapor pressure build-up from the liquid ’cause there was some condensation on the bottle at the top.”
“I would advise not to do it on a stove.”
He recommends protective gears to anyone doing a similar stunt:
“We tried everything we could to open it, but the cork wouldn’t budge. I would advise to wear some better protective gear covering vital body parts if this were to be replicated.”
Watch the whole thing below:
Photos via Twitter / @bdlawr
YOUTUBE U LIED!!! I almost died 🤬 pic.twitter.com/6BoqfbOabE
— Lawr (@bdlawr) February 27, 2018