Netflix released a trailer for its original animated series “Trese” on Thursday, showcasing a star-studded cast of Filipino artists from the Philippines and the U.S.
About the series: The upcoming series, based on a beloved Filipino graphic novel of the same name, is set to premiere on June 11, Esquire reported.
- The horror action series features Filipino supernatural lore set in modern Metro Manila.
- Netflix released one trailer in Filipino and one in English for the global audience.
- Actress Liza Soberano and Filipina Canadian Shay Mitchell play the titular character Alexandra Trese in the Filipino and English versions, respectively.
- The rest of the English language cast features recognizable Filipino American artists Darren Criss, Jon Jon Briones, Nicole Scherzinger, Manny Jacinto, Lou Diamond Phillips, Dante Basco and Eric Bauza.
About the source material: Trese is a horror/crime comic book created by Filipino writer Budjette Tan and artist Kajo Baldisimo in 2005.
- The comic tells the story of supernatural detective Alexandra Trese, who takes on cases involving entities from Filipino folklore.
- The title has received multiple awards, including National Book Award‘s Best Graphic Literature in 2010 and Best Anthology in English in 2014.
- In addition to the title’s Philippine circulation, Trese released its “Global Edition” via an Indiegogo campaign in 2018.
- Ablaze Comics also released an updated U.S. edition of Trese’s Book 1, which features redrawn artwork and new bonus pages.