A Vietnamese TikToker recently went viral for pointing out the humor in some Asian restaurant names.
“Punny” expressions: In his videos, the TikTok user who goes by the handle @choungdo imitates a Vietnamese accent while sounding out various Asian restaurant names as expressions.
- His first viral video, which was uploaded on Dec. 12, has received nearly 900,000 views as of this writing. He features photos of Phở restaurants with “clever” names and turns them into situational expressions.
- “One of my favorite things about being a Vietnamese or Asian in general is how clever we are when it comes to naming our restaurants,” he states in the beginning of the video.
- He then goes on to list a few restaurants using a fake Vietnamese accent. For example, he uses the restaurant name “What the Phở” as an equivalent of the phrase, “What the f*ck?” saying, “Sometimes my daughter make me go ‘What the Phở?”
- “You want me to pick up the baby poop? ‘Phuởc Dat,’” he joked with a supermarket named “Phuởc Dat.”
- His second video of the pun expressions, which was uploaded on Dec. 15, features different Asian cuisine restaurants. Pointing to a Chinese restaurant named Soon Fatt, he joked, “My wife tell me I gotta stop eating so much food because I be ‘Soon Fatt.’”
- Many viewers reveled at his TikTok videos. Others have also shared similar Asian restaurants with pun names. One user commented, “We have a Phở place here called unPhởgettable 😂.”
- Another user said, “My uncle’s restaurant is called ‘Friend or Phở’ 😂😂😂.”