A woman was captured on video spitting at employees of a hot dog joint in San Jose, Calif. on Tuesday afternoon.
@alilseulijust because the staff politely asked her to put on her mask 🙄🙄 ##foryoupage ##karen ##karengonewild ##viral♬ original sound – i
The incident: Workers at Umai Savory Hot Dogs said the customer spat on them after they had asked her to put on a protective mask, reported ABC7. Another customer was able to capture the incident in the video uploaded to TikTok.
- The restaurant had a mask-wearing policy plastered on several signs.
- Kristine Nguyen, an employee that was reportedly working behind the counter, said she offered the woman a mask before the incident, though the customer said that it was within her rights to remain unmasked.
- The employees were shielded from the woman’s spit by the store’s Plexiglas.
- “You just have to be plainly disrespectful to spit at someone for asking you to follow simple rules,” Nguyen said.
- According to Nguyen, there were two other times that the woman spat at other employees, KRON4 reported.
The police report: The owner of the restaurant, Dat Thieu, filed a report of the incident, which police are looking into, according to NBC Bay Area.
- “Lately, we’ve been getting a lot more resistance to people who don’t want to wear masks. I think it’s just people feel more comfortable now whether it’s because they’re vaccinated or whatnot,” said Thieu.
- Nguyen noted that she’s “glad” the video was uploaded on TikTok, as “some people need to be held accountable for their actions.”
- According to the San Jose Police Department, the behavior can result in misdemeanor assault charges, although the woman has yet to be identified.